A mixture of crunchy textures, delicious fruit and a touch of sweetness Desayuno de Avena (Oatmeal Breakfast) is the perfect oatmeal breakfast.
Today I am going to commit a sacrilegious act. One no Dominican child is ever allowed to do. I am going to criticize my mother's cooking, may the cooking goddess have mercy on my soul.
I hated my mom's Desayuno de Avena (Oatmeal Breakfast) when I was a child. There was something about that bland, slimy concoction that turned my stomach. It wasn't all my mother's fault really, she just cooked it the way she herself had eaten it as a child, I assume, and the same way countless other children did. But to me there was nothing redeeming about that dish.
Then I bore a child of my own. Truth be told oatmeal is all that is cracked up to be. Mom was right, it was really good for me.
My sweet spawn loves oatmeal, but that is because both mommy and daddy cook different versions, my husband serves it to her made in the traditional Danish way, and I have come up with a modified version of the one my mom served. And not to appear immodest, but my oatmeal will rock your socks off.
Desayuno de Avena Recipe (Oatmeal Breakfast)
- 4 cups of rolled oats (not instant)
- A pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup of coarse brown sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 9 cups of milk (use substitute if you wish)
- 1 cup of fruit of your choice , sliced (bananas, strawberries, plums, etc)
- 1/2 cup of sliced almonds or nut of your choice
- 1 teaspoon of powdered cinnamon
- Mix oatmeal, salt, half the sugar, cinnamon stick and milk in a heavy saucepan and let it rest for 5 mins.
- Bring this mixture to a boil over medium heat. Start stirring to prevent it from sticking to the bottom.
- When the milk has been absorbed and you obtain a soft porridge remove from the heat.
Serve in individual bowls, and garnish with the fruit and nuts, sprinkle with the remaining sugar and the cinnamon powder.