Avena Caliente (Oats and Milk Hot Drink) was often served with breakfast when I was a kid. Practical, simple, quick to make, and inexpensive, this is one of our favorite recipes.
Whoever came up with the idea of Avena Caliente (oatmeal and milk hot drink) must have been a culinary genius.
Oatmeal dishes as a part of breakfast are pretty much universal at this point. Imagine oatmeal in a drink form. It's perfectly practical: a warm, thick drink, full of the flavors of our beloved spices. It warms the soul and satisfies the most voracious appetite.
Even those who dislike oatmeal porridge will give this oatmeal drink a second chance.
It is often found on our breakfast table and sometimes served with, or as dinner. Practical, simple, quick to make, and inexpensive, this is just perfect to send the kids off to school with a nutritionally solid meal in their stomachs.
And grownups will love it too. Pour into your favorite lidded mug and sip on your way to work if you are short on time.
About this recipe
There isn't many ways to make this drink differently, at least not the traditional version. Different homes may add or substitute spices, so if you have a favorite trick to make your avena, I'd love to hear in the comments.
And check these other Dominican hot drink recipes that you'll love too.
[Recipe + Video] Avena Caliente (Oatmeal and Milk Hot Drink)
- ½ cup [58 gr] of oatmeal
- 4 cup water
- ¼ teaspoon salt, (optional)
- 4 cup milk, (see notes)
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 6 cloves
- ¼ teaspoon of grated nutmeg
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar, (or more, to taste)
- Mixing: Combine water, milk, salt, and oats and mix (in a blender) until the oatmeal is nearly dissolved.
- Heating: In a 3 quart [3 lt] pot mix with cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg. Heat over medium heat, stirring constantly.
- Reducing: Once it breaks the boil, lower heat and simmer until volume has reduced to ¾ of the original. Add sugar to taste
- Serving: Serve warm.
Tips and Notes
Nutritional information is calculated automatically based on ingredients listed. Please consult your doctor if you need precise nutritional information.