You don't have to start your day with boring food, try this warm, thick chocolate de maní (roasted peanut 'cocoa'), a creamy, filling, nutritious and flavorful morning drink. It was a weekend tradition in my family, and still remains so. Pour yourself a steaming cup today!
Why we ❤️ it
One of my favorite Dominican sayings, which I mention often, is "cada cocinero tiene su librito" (every cook has his little book).
Although this saying does not necessarily refer to just cooking, it makes it clear that no two cooks do things the same way. Likewise, it can be said that there are no two houses in which the culinary traditions are identical. This nutritious, flavorful chocolate de maní (peanut "cocoa") is an example, and I invite you to try my family's favorite hot breakfast drink.
Apart from the standard use of "chocolate" to refer to products made from cocoa, in our country we also use the word to refer to certain hot milk-based drinks.
Chocolate de maní (peanut "cocoa").
- Use almond, soy or rice milk for a vegan version.
- You may use a sweetener of your choice in place of sugar.
About this recipe
For me, this drink is almost a symbol of my paternal home kitchen; no weekend breakfast lacked this nutritious and delicious peanut cocoa. For this, I have faithfully followed mami's recipe.
If you make it at home, I would love to know if you have any particular touch that makes it different from this one.
This awesome free recipe contains Amazon affiliate links, we receive a small commission from any purchase you make at no extra cost to you. Thanks!
Chocolate de Maní [Recipe + Video] Dominican Peanut 'Cocoa'
- Blend the roasted peanuts with the milk and half of the sugar. This may take some time; we don't want it to have a grainy texture. I ran the blender for 3 minutes at full speed, cleaned the sides with a spatula, and blended for two more minutes. You may have to blend more or less depending on your blender.Add all other ingredients and sugar to taste. Pour into a saucepan.
- Boil for 10 minutes over low heat.Remove the cinnamon sticks and cloves.
- Serve hot, and sprinkle the nutmeg on top.
Tips and Notes
Nutritional information is calculated automatically based on ingredients listed. Please consult your doctor if you need precise nutrition information.