A mixture of lovely spices, creamy oatmeal, and warming comfort can be found in this desayuno de avena dominicana (oatmeal breakfast). This traditional Dominican breakfast porridge is one of those childhood favorites that is enjoyed by grownups too. Give it a try!
By- Last reviewed . Published Feb 23, 2011
Why we ❤️ it
No Dominican, with maybe some exceptions, went through childhood without a steaming bowl of avena for breakfast on the regular.
You will find the typical Dominican porridge spices in it, and I have taken the liberty of serving it with one of our favorite fruits: guineo (banana).
What set apart Dominican porridge is the combination of Dominican spices. Typically it would include cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves. Some people may add a dash of vanilla extract too.
We usually prefer cinnamon sticks and whole cloves, but since this will be served to kids, I think using ground spices is safer and less work since we don't have to hunt every piece of clove and cinnamon to remove them at the end.
Oatmeal and banana breakfast (avena dominicana).
There are a few Dominican porridge dishes that can be served for breakfast; avena is just one of them.
Harina de maíz (cornmeal porridge), Maicena (cornstarch pudding), Trigo con dulce (bulgur wheat porridge), Arroz con leche (rice pudding), and Chacá / Maíz caquiao (cracked corn porridge) are some of those.
- Dairy substitutes: Use soy or almond milk for a lactose-intolerant-friendly and vegan version.
- Sweetness: You can adjust the sugar level to your preferred sweetness.
- Sometimes I make it slightly less sweet than it's typically served and then sprinkle a bit of brown sugar on top for a nice crunch.
- You can serve it with some nuts or other fruits.
About this recipe
This is the traditional way of making avena dominicana, except for the banana, which is my own touch. And it is fair to remember that different homes may make this dish differently.
How does your family make avena? Let me know in the comments!
This awesome free recipe contains Amazon affiliate links, we receive a small commission from any purchase you make at no extra cost to you. Thanks for your support!
Avena Dominicana [Recipe + Video] Dominican Oatmeal Breakfast
- In a medium pot or saucepan, combine oatmeal, salt, sugar, cinnamon, cloves, 2 cups of water, and milk.
2. Cooking oats
- Bring the mixture to a boil over medium heat. Stir constantly, reducing the liquids until you obtain a soft porridge. Taste, and add more sugar to taste if you find it necessary. Stir in the butter to combine with the oatmeal mix.
- Remove from the heat. Serve the oatmeal in individual bowls, and sprinkle with nutmeg.Garnish with banana slices and serve.
Nutritional information is calculated automatically based on ingredients listed. Please consult your doctor if you need precise nutrition information.