This easy potato and chicken salad is colorful, filling, easy to make, and doesn't make you hot. What else can you ask from a summer dish?
Why we ❤️ it
Cooking in the summer is relegated to the cooler hours of the day in our home. I hate cooking and eating heavy meals when I am hot. I have mastered the technique of cooking with a minimum of effort. I am the ninja of the one-dish meal, just like this one.
This filling summer salad (is it technically a salad if several of the ingredients are cooked? I am full of questions) is just perfect for these dog days.
My favorite thing is that it can be served with other dishes (perfect for BBQs and cookouts), or as a light summer meal.
Chicken and potato salad.
In case you missed them, these are some of my favorite summer-friendly salads that can also be served as a light lunch or dinner:
- Rice, pineapple and sweet corn salad
- Chickpea and codfish salad
- Tipili (Dominican tabbouleh)
- Light potato salad
- Quail eggs and rice salad
- Vegan pasta and avocado salad
- Couscous tabbouleh
- Low carb "tabbouleh"
These are just a few, you can check so many more great choices for summer salads here.
About this recipe
This is a very flexible recipe, you can add more ingredients, like boiled and diced carrots, blanched peas (frozen or from a can), and sweet corn (frozen or from a can). You can also leave out ingredients you don't like.
And if you have a few boiled potatoes left over from another dinner, you're set, no cooking necessary whatsoever. For an extra touch of fancy, you can use purple potatoes if you find them. I used Yukon gold because I like their bright yellow color and that they stay firmer, which is my preference, but choose a floury potato if you like it mushier.
The recipe calls for supermarket rotisserie chicken, which means you can serve the rest of the chicken for lunch, and this salad for dinner.
Get creative, you can hardly go wrong here.
This awesome free recipe contains Amazon affiliate links, we receive a small commission from any purchase you make at no extra cost to you. Thanks!
[Recipe + Video] Easy Potato and Chicken Salad
- 1 medium red onion
- ¼ cup of apple vinegar
- 1½ pound potatoes, [0.68 kg], boiled, peeled, and diced (see notes)
- ¾ cup diced bell peppers
- 3 cup supermarket rotisserie chicken, shredded finely
- ¾ cup thinly-sliced celery stalk
- 1 cup mayonnaise, (or more, to taste)
- Steep onion: Add vinegar to the bowl with the onion and let it rest for 10 minutes.Discard the vinegar.
- Mixing salad: Combine the onion and the remaining ingredients in a large bowl. If you won't serve right away, cover and keep chilled for later.
- Serving: This salad keeps refrigerated for about a day. Once chilled, serve right out of the fridge so the mayonnaise doesn't spoil.
Tips and Notes
Nutritional information is calculated automatically based on ingredients listed. Please consult your doctor if you need precise nutrition information.
Published Jun 10, 2013, revised