For the last few weeks I have been repeating how mild this year’s temperature have been. Sure half the world was plunked into one of the coldest winters of late, but for us living in the tropics that was such a nice respite from our usual curse: heat.
I should have kept my mouth shut.
The last few days have given me a taste of the days ahead, the heat is back with a vengeance. I have a hard time functioning during the hottest hours of the day, and we refuse to turn on the air conditioner. I have resorted to my usual summer strategy of working early in the morning and in the evenings and napping and chilling out during the middle of the day.
My cooking schedule also changes.
I hate cooking and eating heavy meals when I am hot.
The idea of slaving over a hot stove to make a 3 or four hot dishes meal seems insane to me. Well, at least it would drive me insane. I have mastered the technique of cooking with the minimum of effort. I am the ninja of the one dish-meal.
In case you missed them, these are some of my other summer-friendly one dish-meals:
The final touch to this salad comes from the mild, refreshing taste of Mizkan rice vinegar, which works perfectly with a cold dish.
Colorful, filling, easy to make and doesn’t make you hot. What else can you ask from a summer dish?
Purple Potato and Chicken Salad Recipe
- 1 1/2 lb [0.68 kg] of potatoes , peeled, cut into small pieces
- 1 large carrot , peeled, cut into small pieces
- 2 teaspoons of salt (or more, to taste), divided
- 1/4 cup of olive oil
- 1 lb [0.48 kg] of chicken breast cut into small pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon of pepper (or more, to taste), divided
- 1/3 cup of leek , cut into small pieces
- 6 cloves of garlic , crushed
- 4 cups of chopped kale
- 1/4 cup of Mizkan rice vinegar
- Boil the carrot and potatoes until they are cooked through but firm, adding a teaspoon of salt to the water. Remove carrots and potatoes from the water and set aside.
- Season the chicken with a pinch of pepper and a teaspoon of salt.
- Heat the oil over medium heat in a large skillet
- Add the chicken, cooking and stirring often until the chicken is cooked through (about 7 minutes).
- Add the leek and garlic, cook and stir for a minute.
- Add the kale. Remove from the heat and stir until all the kale is wilted.
- Mix in the potatoes and carrots.
- Remove from the skillet and place in a serving bowl.
- Add the Mizkan rice vinegar and mix well.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve at room temperature