Our ponche de desayuno (breakfast eggnog) is a thick, hearty morning drink, perfect for the cooler days of the year.
It's the most wonderful time of the year! Yeah, even for a Grinch like me. What's not to love? Family, friends, food, and fresher days (colder where you live maybe). And we can enjoy all things hot and warm without fear of spontaneously combusting. And yeah, Ponche de Desayuno (Breakfast Eggnog).
I know you know, but just a quick reminder that not all eggnogs contain alcohol, and this is one of them.
And now a small confession: Ponche de Desayuno (Breakfast Eggnog) is not part of my family tradition. As a matter of fact, I came to learn that some people had eggnog for breakfast when I was long out of my parental home.
Yeah, breakfast eggnog, whowouldathunk!?
About this recipe
There are many versions of this drink, with chocolate (instead of coffee), with alcohol (yeah, for breakfast, seriously), and some people add whole eggs (not just the yolk), some eat it partially cooked.
I have a pretty rational fear of salmonellosis, so I made sure it was sufficiently cooked. If this is something your family likes, I'd love to hear about your own version.
[Recipe + Video] Ponche de Desayuno (Breakfast Eggnog)
- 3 cup evaporated milk, [7 dl]
- 2 egg yolks
- ¼ cup sugar, [55 g]
- A pinch of salt
- 1 cup hot strong coffee, [2.4 dl], freshly brewed
- A pinch of freshly-grated nutmeg
- Heating milk: Heat milk, making sure it does not break the boil.
- Mixing eggs and milk: Mix eggs, sugar, and salt. Whisk until it is thoroughly mixed. Add the milk, starting with small quantities and mixing thoroughly before adding more milk. Stir in coffee.
- Heating eggnog: Return the eggnog to the pot and heat over medium-low heat, stirring until it starts to become foamy and a bit thicker (about 5 mins).
- Cooling and serving: Remove the eggnog from the heat and whisk until it becomes a bit cooler (so it doesn't form a crust). Sprinkle with nutmeg. Serve immediately.
Tips and Notes
Nutritional information is calculated automatically based on ingredients listed. Please consult your doctor if you need precise nutritional information.