Avena Caliente (Oatmeal and Milk Hot Drink) was often served with breakfast when I was a kid. Practical, simple, quick to make and inexpensive, this is one of our favorite recipes.
Whoever came up with the idea of Avena Caliente (oatmeal and milk hot drink) must have been a culinary genius.
Oatmeal dishes as a part of breakfast are pretty much universal at this point, and researchers nearly trip over each other to reveal an ever-growing list of nutritional benefits. Imagine this in a drink form. Imagine how practical: a warm drink, thick, and full of the flavors of our beloved spices. It warms the soul and satisfies the most voracious appetite. Even those who dislike oatmeal porridge will give oatmeal a second chance.
Avena caliente (oatmeal and milk hot drink):
Often found on our breakfast table when I was a kid. Practical, simple, quick to make and inexpensive, this is just perfect to send the kids off to school with a nutritionally solid meal in their stomach.
And grownups will love it too. Pour into your favorite lidded mug and sip on your way to work if you are short on time.
Avena Caliente – Recipe & Video (Oatmeal and Milk Hot Drink)
- 1/2 cup [58 gr] of oatmeal
- 4 cups of water
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt (optional)
- 4 cups of milk (see notes)
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 6 cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon of grated nutmeg
- 4 tablespoons of brown sugar (or more, to taste)
- Mix water, milk, salt and oatmeal and mix (in a blender) until the oatmeal is nearly dissolved.
- In a 3 quart [3 lt] pot mix with cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg. Heat over medium heat, stir constantly.
- Once it breaks the boil, lower heat and simmer until volume has reduced to 3/4 of the original. Add sugar to taste
- Serve warm.