A rich, luscious Ponche de Ron Recipe (Rum Eggnog) with all the taste of Dominican rum, and the spirit of Christmas.
Ponche de Ron (Rum eggnog) is a rich, creamy drink that to Dominicans is associated with Christmas and New year. This spiced, chilled eggnog must not be absent from your own Christmas Eve dinner table.
With a thick, smooth texture, chilled, and the warm taste of rum, it's like a dessert that you can drink, and one of the most popular traditional Dominican beverages.
More eggnog recipes
Ponche de Ron (Rum Eggnog) is the classic drink of the Dominican Christmas dinner. It's just not the same without it.
We suggest you prepare some extra and give it to friends and family. Just use your crafty superpowers for some fancy presentation and it will make the perfect present. They'll loooove it.
If you want to try other variations of this classic Dominican drink, check these other recipes.
- Ponche de Chocolate (Chocolate Eggnog)
- Pumpkin Vegan Eggnog
- Ponche de Desayuno (Breakfast Eggnog)
- Vanilla and Coffee Liqueur Eggnog
About this recipe
The amount of rum you use is really a suggestion. My recipe calls for the minimum amount, but you can add more if you so like. I have also suggested a recipe that yields eggnog that is not sickly sweet, so if you want yours sweeter you can add more condensed milk.
Make these additions after you have chilled and tried the eggnog.
Ponche de Ron Recipe (Rum Eggnog)
- 5 cup of condensed sweetened milk
- 10 cup evaporated milk
- 8 egg yolks
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- A pinch of ground nutmeg
- ¾ cup of white rum
- Combining: Mix the condensed and evaporated milks and the egg yolks. Stir with a wooden spoon until they are well-mixed. Sieve to get rid of undissolved egg parts. Add cinnamon sticks and nutmeg.
- Cooking: Cook in a bain-marie over low fire for 40 minutes. Stir to avoid sticking to the bottom.
- Cooling: Add the rum and remove from the heat. Stir constantly but slowly until it cools down to room temperature. Remove the cinnamon sticks.
- Serving: Chill before serving.
Tips and Notes
Nutritional information is calculated automatically based on ingredients listed. Please consult your doctor if you need precise nutritional information.