Our breakfast Ponche dominicano de desayuno (Dominican eggnog) is a creamy morning drink, perfect for the cooler days of the year. This beloved, nutritious, and comforting drink is very popular for its nutritional properties, and just perfect to start the day full of energy.
By- Last reviewed . Published Dec 23, 2016
Why we ❤️ it
It's the most wonderful time of the year! Family, friends, food, and cooler days (maybe cold where you live). And we can enjoy all things hot and warm without fear of spontaneously combusting. Like Ponche.
Besides a hot, steaming cup of Dominican coffee, this is probably one of our favorite ways to perk up in the morning.
What's ponche Dominicano?
Ponche dominicano, Ponche de huevo, or Ponche de desayuno is a creamy, foamy, rich hot drink typically served for breakfast. It differs from our traditional Ponche crema or Ponche navideño in that it's a warm drink and may or may not contain alcohol.
Ponche de desayuno.
- To make the chocolate version: Substitute ¼ cup of unsweetened powdered cocoa dissolved in an extra cup of hot evaporated milk for the cup of coffee.
- For a keto version: Use heavy cream instead of evaporated milk, and instead of adding sugar on the second step, sweeten to taste with the sweetener of your choice once the eggs are cooked through.
- Other flavors: You can add some cinnamon flavor by adding either a cinnamon stick or a quarter teaspoon of ground cinnamon to the milk before heating it. Some people would add a bit of vanilla extract, too.
About this recipe
And now a small confession: Ponche de desayuno is not part of my family tradition. As a matter of fact, I came to learn that some people had eggnog for breakfast when I was long out of my parental home.
Yeah, breakfast eggnog, whowouldathunk!?
There are many versions of this drink, with chocolate (instead of coffee), with some booze (yeah, for breakfast, seriously), and some people add whole eggs (not just the yolk), and some eat it partially cooked.
I have a pretty rational fear of salmonellosis, so I made sure it was sufficiently cooked to be safe.
If this is something your family likes, I'd love to hear about your own version.
This awesome free recipe contains Amazon affiliate links, we receive a small commission from any purchase you make at no extra cost to you. Thanks for your support!
Ponche Dominicano de Desayuno [Recipe + Video] Breakfast Eggnog
1. Heating milk
- Heat milk, making sure it does not break the boil.
2. Mixing eggs and milk
- Mix eggs, sugar, and salt. Whisk until it is thoroughly mixed. Add the milk, starting with small quantities and mixing thoroughly before adding more milk. Stir in coffee.
3. Heating eggnog
- Return the eggnog to the pot and heat over medium-low heat, stirring until it starts to become foamy and a bit thicker (about 5 mins).
4. Cooling and serving
- Remove the eggnog from the heat and whisk until it becomes a bit cooler (so it doesn't form a crust). Sprinkle with nutmeg. Serve immediately.
Nutritional information is calculated automatically based on ingredients listed. Please consult your doctor if you need precise nutrition information.