Party on a summer day? This beautiful Sandwichon that you can make with tuna, shrimp, or chicken requires almost no cooking and looks spectacular. Summer is not for long hours in the kitchen, but you can still serve something spectacular when you have guests.
Why we ❤️ it
During the summer every year we share recipes that require little or no cooking, and I think it is a tradition that we will continue on our blog. This wonderful sanduchón has the advantage that you don't have to cook hardly anything, it is served cold at room temperature and you can refrigerate up to 24 hours and serve it later.
So even if it's summer and the heat doesn't make you want to cook, you can still serve something spectacular at your gatherings and parties. It is also perfect for baby showers, and children's birthday parties.
What is a sandwichon?
Sandwichon are savory sandwich cakes made of layers of crustless white bread and filled with different fillings, such as ham filling, tuna salad, chicken salad, and this shrimp paste. After it is assembled, it is covered with butter or cream cheese frosting and decorated with herbs and vegetables.
Sandwichon (party sandwich cake).
How to make sandwichon
There are different versions depending on each cook or household. Here are some popular fillings for you to choose the best one for your party menu.
Sandwichon de camarones
This recipe is based on a rich and creamy shrimp filling that makes this sandwich a little more refined.
Sandwichon de jamon
You can substitute the shrimp for ham in this recipe. The result is more economical, and perfect if you have guests who are allergic to seafood.
Besides substituting ham for shrimp, you can add half a cup of yellow cheese (Cheddar for example) and add it to the previous mixture. Add half a red bell pepper to add some creaminess, color, and flavor.
Sandwichon de atun
You can also fill the tuna sandwich with this tuna filling with capers, evaporated milk, and mayonnaise instead of making the shrimp filling. It gives a very juicy result and is more economical and easy to make. It also has instructions for using canned salmon instead of tuna.
Sandwichon de pollo
Substitute the shrimp filling for this chicken salad dip with olives, celery, parsley, and cream cheese (among others) for a creamy and juicy sandwich that requires no cooking since it uses rotisserie chicken from the supermarket. In addition to the chicken filling, you can add slices of boiled eggs between each layer of bread.
About this recipe
Once you know how to make a sandwichon, you can decorate it as simply as I did, or as sophisticated as you are inspired. This recipe serves 6 servings of two slices each.
And if you have never served it to your guests, it's time you did. And if you do it another way, I'd love to hear your ideas, so leave them in the comments.
This awesome free recipe contains Amazon affiliate links, we receive a small commission from any purchase you make at no extra cost to you. Thanks!
[Recipe + Video] Sandwichon de Pollo, Atun o Jamon (Sandwich Cake)
- 10 slices white bread
- 3 egg (medium), hard-boiled, chopped
- 4 tablespoon mayo
Make shrimp layer
- Pour in shrimp, butter, and salt into the food processor bowl. Process until you obtain a uniform paste. Set aside.
Make mayonnaise and eggs layer
- Separately, mix eggs and mayo in a mixing bowl until combined. Set aside.
Make avocado layer
- In another bowl, mash the avocado, leaving small chunks. Season with lime juice, and salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Cut the bread crust, making sure each slice forms a perfect square, all the same size. Cut two of the slices into halves (you'll see why in the next step).
- Place two whole bread slices side to side. Cover with half the shrimp paste. Top with one whole slice of bread in the center, and two half slices on each side. This way the cuts won't fall one on top of the other, and the sandwich won't split in the middle.Top with the avocado layer, spreading uniformly. Follow with two whole slices of bread, cover them with the egg mixture spread uniformly. Cover with a whole slice in the center, and two half slices on each side of it. Spread the remaining shrimp paste and top with the remaining bread.
- Wrap the sandwich cake with plastic film, making sure that the sides are even. Chill for two hours.
- Mix cream cheese and butter and whip until it is fluffy and well combined (3-5 min at medium speed with paddle attachment).
- Ice the sandwich cake with the whipped cream cheese using a spatula. Decorate with cherry tomatoes, chive, and parsley. Chill for half an hour (uncovered).
- Serve cut into slices (use a serrated bread knife to cut).
Tips and Notes
Nutritional information is calculated automatically based on ingredients listed. Please consult your doctor if you need precise nutritional information.
Summer is soon to end, and so is our Scandinavian vacation. Making sandwich cakes, though coincidentally popular in ours and many other Hispanic countries, is also present as a Scandinavian tradition. We know it as Sandwichon--or Sanduchón--Swedes know and love it as smörgåstårta recipe (Scandinavian sandwich cake, or Swedish sandwich cake).
I don't think there's any connection between both dishes. It wouldn't be the first time the same thing is created simultaneously in more than one place, and layers of bread arranged in a cake shape seems like the kind of thing that would appear in more than one place at the same time. I am waiting for one of you to tell me this exists elsewhere.
Sandwich cakes are made with layers of white, crustless mold bread, with layers of savory filling.
Published Aug 14, 2014, revised