This recipe for Dulce de Coco (Coconut Fudge) calls for few ingredients, is easy to prepare, and results in a delectable dessert with tropical flavors that you can not resist.
Why we ❤️ it
Sometimes the simplest things are the best. This is the case of Dominican Dulce de Coco (Coconut Fudge), one of our most popular desserts, and one of the most sought after recipes in our blog.
Personally, coconut is one of my favorite ingredients, and frankly, left to my own devices, I would put coconut in more things than is reasonable to do so.
Dulce de Coco variants
There are several versions of Dulce de Coco, the most popular being "coco seco", and "de coco tierno". Each has its fans. Our Dominican dulce de coco recipe can be used for both.
Dulce de coco (coconut and milk fudge).
How to make Dulce de Coco Seco
For this the coconut "meat" is used when the peel has dried, much of the water has evaporated, and the coconut has a firm texture. This is the presentation that we show you here and gives a firmer texture. This is made with grated or shredded coconut.
How to make Dulce de Coco Tierno
For this version, the coconut should still be new and tender, and the coconut meat is soft and juicy. The coconut is difficult to grate when it is tender, so in that case, the coconut is chopped or sliced into tiny pieces. The result is a softer and juicier dessert, although the coconut flavor is less strong.
This awesome free recipe contains Amazon affiliate links, we receive a small commission from any purchase you make at no extra cost to you. Thanks!
[Recipe + Video] Dulce de coco (Coconut and milk fudge)
How to crack and prepare the coconut
- Crack the coconut (my favorite method is wrapping it in an old towel and cracking it with a hammer). Remove the flesh (careful with sharp edges) using an old table knife or spoon.
- Remove the dark peel using a potato peel. Wash and pat dry.
How to make Dulce de Coco
1. Grate the coconut
- Grate in the food processor or by hand, the consistency (fine or coarse) will depend on on your own taste
2. Mix ingredients
- Mix the all the ingredients in an iron pot and bring to a boil over very low heat. Stir regularly to avoid sticking and keep an eye on it to prevent it from overboiling.
- When it reaches pudding-like consistency remove from the heat (it may take up to 40 minutes). Chill before serving
Tips and Notes
Nutritional information is calculated automatically based on ingredients listed. Please consult your doctor if you need precise nutrition information.