Pescado Frito (Fried Fish a la Dominicana) is the kind of dish that you can order almost anywhere in the Dominican Republic (best done in coastal towns). It is an essential component of a beach day and a very popular street food.
Am I the only one for whom Pescado Frito (Fried Fish a la Dominicana) is synonymous with Boca Chica?
If you don't know, Boca Chica is one of the closest beaches to Santo Domingo, the Dominican capital. With white sand and shallow turquoise waters, Boca Chica is the kind of beach we see in Caribbean postcards; but instead of the romanticized version, Boca Chica is full of hustle and bustle, and Dominicans at their most colorful.
I haven't been to Boca Chica in years, so my memories may not be up to date. But I remember the vendors, selling their fried fare to those unprepared revelers who did not bring their giant pot of espagueti to their beach day.
Ah, the memories.
Some foods in our country are synonymous with fun, lazy days. This is one of them, an uncomplicated dish that only requires that you find some very fresh fish, and which is sure to bring some sun and fun into your own home, even if you are far from our wonderful beaches.
Pescado Frito (Fried Fish a la Dominicana)
- 6 small seabass, snapper or grouper (1/2 lb [0.23 kg] each) scaled, gilled and gutted
- ½ teaspoon of dry oregano or thyme leaves , powdered (optional)
- 3 crushed garlic cloves
- ½ teaspoon of pepper , or to taste
- 1 teaspoon coarse sea salt , or to taste
- 3 tablespoons of cornstarch
- 4 cups of oil for frying
- 2 limes cut into wedges
- Score fish 3 or 4 times diagonally on both sides. Pat dry with a paper towel.
- Sprinkle each fish with a pinch of thyme (or oregano), garlic, pepper and salt. Rub each fish with the cornstarch, followed by the salt and pepper, making sure it gets into the cuts.
- In a frying pot heat the oil over medium-high heat. Deep-fry one by one until golden brown on both sides. Place on a paper towel to drain excess oil.
- Serve with tostones and garnish with the lime wedges and salt on the side.