Okra fans rejoice, this Ensalada de Molondrones Recipe is an easy easy-to-prepare and very healthful salad. I encourage you to give it a try.
There doesn't seem to be anyone that is lukewarm in their opinion of okra, it's either like or intense dislike. Regardless of your opinion of okra as a food, you have to admit Ensalada de Molondrones (Okra Salad) is a dish that looks good. It's also good for you.
We have a few recipes that either contain some or are mostly based on okra. Okras are easy to find in the Dominican Republic.
If you are worried about your health, and are trying to do something about it, I think you should definitely add okra to your vegetable basket. We have another recipe for okra, and we expand on its health benefits in the introduction.
You can also check the recipes in our blog tagged light, and try them out for yourself.
About this recipe
This is not a salad that is super common or popular (see first paragraph for reasons), but if you a member of Team Molondrones, you'll love this. It's a light, colorful and filling salad with all the flavors that we Dominicans love.
Do you make it at home? Do you have another ingredient you like to add, let us know in the comments!
Ensalada de Molondrones Recipe (Okra Salad)
- Juice of 2 limes
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 sprig of parsley , minced
- 1 bell red pepper diced into small cubes
- 1¼ teaspoon of salt (or more, to taste)
- ¼ teaspoon of pepper (or more, to taste)
- 1 large onion diced into small cubes
- 4 cups of okra cut into 1-inch [2.5 cm] slices
- Making dressing: Mix half the lime juice, oil, parsley, bell pepper, ¼ teaspoon of salt, pepper, and onion. Set aside.
- Cooking okra: Boil the okra over medium heat until they are cooked throughout, having added 1 teaspoon of salt and the remaining half of the lime juice to the water.When the okra is cooked remove it from the heat and discard the water. Let it cool down to room temperature.
- Making salad: Mix with the ingredients that had been set aside. Season with salt and pepper to taste.