Regardless of your opinion of okra as a food, you have to admit Ensalada de Molondrones (Okra Salad) is a dish that looks good. It’s also good for you.
We have a few recipes that either contain some or are mostly based on okra. Okras are easy to find in the Dominican Republic.
If you are worried about your health, and are trying to do something about it, I think you should definitely add okra to your vegetable basket. We have another recipe for okra, and we expand on its health benefits in the introduction.
You can also check the recipes in our blog tagged light, and try them out for yourself.
Ensalada de Molondrones Recipe (Okra Salad)
- Juice of 2 limes
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 sprig of parsley , minced
- 1 bell red pepper diced into small cubes
- 1 1/4 teaspoon of salt (or more, to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon of pepper (or more, to taste)
- 1 large onion diced into small cubes
- 4 cups of okra cut into 1-inch [2.5 cm] slices.
- Mix half the lime juice, oil, parsley, bell pepper, 1/4 teaspoon of salt, pepper and onion. Set aside.
- Boil the okra over medium heat until they are cooked throughout, having added 1 teaspoon of salt and the remaining half of the lime juice to the water.
- When the okra is cooked remove from the heat and discard the water.
- Let it cool down to room temperature.
- Mix with the ingredients that had been set aside. Season with salt and pepper to taste.