Fried sweet plantains (platanos maduros fritos) are loved by everyone. It's our easiest sweet plantain recipe and is usually served as a side dish.
If you know this dish and are wondering why anyone would need a recipe for Plátanos Fritos Maduros, then this is probably not a recipe you'll need. But think of those people who've never had the pleasure of trying ripe plantains.
They need this in their lives, don't you think?
This dish is popular in Cuba and Puerto Rico too, where they are known as maduros or maduritos. They are also served in many other Latin American countries.
Spanish Caribbean people love our maduros. They're not as popular as fritos verdes, but they're almost there.
How to serve
Plátanos maduros fritos are served as a side dish to lunch or dinner, another way in which we Dominicans combine sweet and savory flavors. You can serve them with la bandera (our traditional lunch), or any of our locrios (rice with meat, vegetables or seafood).
More plátano maduro recipes
- Plátanos al Caldero (Caramelized Ripe Plantains)
- Pastelón de Plátano Maduro (Ripe Plantain Casserole)
- Yaroa Mixta (Dominican Loaded Fries)
- Ripe Plantain Boats (Canoas) with Eggplants
- Piononos de Plátanos Maduros (Ripe Plantain Rolls)
- Mala Rabia (Guava and Plantain in Syrup)
- Baked Sweet Plantains
- Sopión - Sancocho de Habichuelas (Sweet & Spicy Bean Stew)
- Cheese-Crusted Ripe Plantain Balls
- Ripe Plantain Cups w. Spicy Chicken and Avocado Mayo
- Ripe Plantain Soup with Plantain Chips
- Plantain and Cheese Breakfast Tart
About this recipe
Many of you would think this doesn't even require a recipe, and that's probably because you grew up eating fritos maduros. This will probably not be the case for anyone who is less familiar with our cuisine.
So if you don't need a recipe, fantastic! If you need a recipe, we have your back!
[Recipe + Video] Plátanos Maduros Fritos (Easy Fried Sweet Plantains)
- 2 ripe plantain
- ½ cup oil for frying
- Slicing: Peel the plantains and cut diagonally into ¼" inch (0.5 cm) slices.
- Frying: Heat the oil over medium heat (450 ºF [225 ºC]). Deep fry the plantains turning halfway until both sides are golden brown.Place on a paper towel to absorb the excess oil.
Nutritional information is calculated automatically based on ingredients listed. Please consult your doctor if you need precise nutritional information.