A bubbly, ice-cold pineapple drink, Guarapo de Piña (Fermented Pineapple Juice) just screams "tropical summer", whether you are in the tropics or not.
Today I bring you something super-light to cool down and give the body a break from this heat: Guarapo de Piña (Fermented Pineapple Drink).
Fermented juice recipes are not uncommon in the Dominican Republic. I'd dare to say that they are rarer now on account of the myriad carbonated drinks on the market (because let's face it, even if they are not the healthiest drinks they are very darn refreshing).
This guarapo drink is a great way to satisfy the craving for "bubbly", cold drinks. It is also cheaper and much healthier. If you find the idea of drinking fermented pineapple juice somewhat-off-putting, let me put your mind at ease: Dominicans have been drinking mabíes and guarapos (fermented root drinks and fermented fruit drinks) for a long time. Give it a try, trust me, it's worth the effort.
About this Guarapo recipe
Another good thing about this drink is that you only use the pineapple peel; you can use the rest of the pineapple in other dishes, or add frozen pineapple cubes to your drink to keep it cooler longer than with just ice, then you can eat the fruit once you finish your drink.
Check our other Dominican fermented drinks recipes that. you'll sure to love.
Guarapo de Piña [+ Video] (Fermented Pineapple Juice)
- Peel of 1 pineapple, (plus pineapple for serving, see notes)
- 2 quarts drinking water
- 1 cup sugar or equivalent sweetener
- Prepping peel: Wash the pineapple peel with running water. Place the pineapple peel in a pitcher big enough to fit the water and the peel, add the water. Cover and leave on the kitchen counter overnight, you should see some tiny bubbles on the surface.
- Fermenting: Refrigerate for 3 to 4 days, or until you notice bubbles stuck to the sides of the pitcher. It should smell fruity, and a bit vinegary, but should have no foul odor.
- Serving: Strain and pour the liquid into another clean pitcher. Add sugar or sweetener to taste, Add ice, and frozen pineapple cubes (optional).