Tasty and juicy, Lasagna de Berenjenas (Beef and Eggplant Casserole) does not contain pasta but uses eggplants in its place.
Please sit down and share with me a slice of this juicy Lasagna de Berenjenas (Beef and Eggplant Casserole), and let me tell you about our latest adventure.
And speaking of good, no-frills Dominican fare, lasagna de berenjenas isn't as common as the other most popular casseroles in our cuisine, but it is always welcome on the table.
Try it, you'll love it!
Lasagna de Berenjenas Recipe (Beef and Eggplant Casserole)
For the filling
- 2 lb lean beef, minced [0.9 kg]
- 1 ½ tsp salt, (or more, to taste)
- 1 tsp pepper, (or more, to taste)
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 onion, diced into very small cubes
- 1 green pepper, diced into very small cubes
- ¼ tsp oregano
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon basil, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 large eggplants, sliced thinly
- 1 cup of mozzarella cheese
For the filling
- Season the meat with 1½ teaspoon salt, pepper, garlic, onions, green pepper, and oregano. In a shallow pan heat a tablespoon of oil. Add the ground beef and brown. Add water and tomato sauce. Simmer over medium heat until all the liquid has evaporated.
- Season with salt to taste and add basil. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Preheat oven at 200 °C [400 °F].
- Cover the bottom of a medium-size square (or rectangular) baking pan with the oil. Place inside a layer consisting of half the eggplants on the baking pan and cover with the filling. Cover with the remaining eggplants.
- Cover baking pan with aluminum foil and bake for 25 minutes.
- Uncover, sprinkle with the cheese and return to oven until the cheese has turned golden brown. Cool for a couple of minutes before serving. Best served with salad.