We love these mofonguitos maduros, ripe plantain cups juicy, spicy chicken on top of melted cheddar drizzled with creamy, garlicky avocado mayo. It's a thing of beauty!
Why we ❤️ it
Before anyone tries these Ripe Plantain Cups w. Spicy Chicken and Avocado Mayo the question might arise in their mind if perhaps we don't have too many plantain recipes. But only before.
I made this on a Monday, and by Tuesday I was testing the recipe again. Both times they flew off the table faster than you can say "holy plátano maduro, Batman!".
Ripe plantain cups w. spicy chicken.
For this recipe, I picked one of my favorite fillings: pulled chicken in tomato sauce. You can try any of our other fillings: beef, creamy chicken, vegan mix, or vegan mince. To make it vegan you'll also have to leave the cheese out.
You can also experiment with other cheeses, preferably the ones that melt well.
About this recipe
No, this isn't a traditional recipe, but it may well soon be. What's not to love about ripe plantain and juicy, spicy chicken over a bed of melted cheese? And let's not forget: avocado!
This dish, my friends, is the thing legends are made of. If you're a fan of ripe plantains -- and if you're not, perhaps you're in the wrong blog – I can see how you're already mentally making a shopping list. How your guests will ask why you didn't make more of this (portion control, my friends!), and how long before you invite them again.
Word will spread out, and soon you'll be having people asking when they can come by, "if you'll be making 'those' again". I'm warning you.
Yeah, it was that good.
This awesome free recipe contains Amazon affiliate links, we receive a small commission from any purchase you make at no extra cost to you. Thanks!
[Recipe + Video] Mofonguitos Maduros (Ripe Plantain Cups w. Spicy Chicken)
- 3 plantain (ripe, yellow), (see notes)
- 2 teaspoons salt, (or more, to taste), divided
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil, , divided
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1¼ cup chicken and tomato sauce filling (our recipe)
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce, of your preference (or more, to taste)
- 1 cup vegan avocado mayonnaise (our recipe), (how to make it)
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro, (optional)
- Boil the plantains: Peel and halve the plantains, boil in a 2 qt [0.5 lt] pot with enough water to cover them, plus an inch" [2.5 cm]. Add 1 teaspoon of salt to the water. Once the plantains are cooked through (about 15 mins.), remove from the water and discard water. Set plantains aside.
- Form the cups: Lightly mash the plantains (do not make it into a puree). Grease 8 non-stick muffin tins with some of the oil. Scoop 6 equal parts into the greased tins. Using the mortar part of a mortar and pestle (greased with oil) press against the tin forming the cups.
- Cook the cups: Heat oven to maximum temperature (you can also use a toaster oven for faster cooking). Place the muffin tins in the oven and cook until the edges turn light brown (see picture). Remove from the oven.
- Filling and baking: Mix the chicken filling with hot sauce to taste.Fill the plantain cups with an equal amount of cheese, and press lightly. Scoop the chicken into the cups and return to the oven for another 5 minutes to heat the chicken and melt the cheese.
- Serve: Loosen the edges of the cups with a toothpick. Carefully remove from the muffin tins (a fork is best for this. Place the cups on a serving tray. Using a condiment bottle, drizzle avocado mayo on the cups. Garnish with cilantro.
Tips and Notes
Nutritional information is calculated automatically based on ingredients listed. Please consult your doctor if you need precise nutrition information.