Dominican-Style Farina, or Cream of Wheat is known as 'Harina del Negrito' in the DR, this is a popular breakfast dish with kids and even adults.
It’s hard to believe, but this Cream of Wheat® recipe for Dominican-style farina is one of the most searched for in our blog. At least I find it quite surprising, after all, it is a very simple dish that I thought most people could cook without a recipe.
I tend to forget that not everyone spends their days obsessed with food, and to be frank, even I have to sometimes consult my own recipes to remember every little detail.
Some questions you’ve asked about this farina recipe
What’s Farina? What is “cream of wheat”?
Farina –or porridge– is the generic name for this wheat flour, and Cream of Wheat™ is a commercial brand of farina. In the Dominican Republic, farina is best known as Harina del Negrito® after the most popular brand of farina sold here.
Are grits and farina the same thing?
Farina is a coarse flour made from wheat, while grits is a coarse flour made from corn. They have a similar texture, and can be used similarly but are not the same.
Is Farina Gluten-free?
It’s a wheat product, so it’s definitely not gluten-free. I also can’t think of a suitable GF substitute at this time.
Dominican-Style Farina – Cream of Wheat Recipe
- 2 cups of water
- 3 cups of milk
- 1 1/2 cup of farina (cream of wheat)
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 stick of cinnamon
- A pinch of clove powder
- 3/4 cup of sugar
- 2 tablespoon butter
- A pinch of freshly-grated nutmeg
- In a medium-sized saucepan mix 2 cups of water, milk, cream of wheat, salt, vanilla, cinnamon, clove powder, and sugar.
- Let it rest for 5 minutes.
- Heat over medium heat stirring constantly to prevent it from sticking to the pot.
- When it breaks the boil, add butter and lower heat to very low. Simmer stirring until it reaches the desired consistency, taking into consideration it will get much thicker when it cools down. I suggest a thick but still liquid consistency.
- Serve warm and sprinkle with the nutmeg.