Our road stops are full of secret treasures and amongst them Dulce de Leche y Piña (Milk and Pineapple Fudge). Now you can make it at home.
There are some undying traditions and customs in our country. One that doesn't seem to be disappearing any time soon is the custom of stopping midway in the way in or out of La Capital to eat something or to buy something to bring our family.
Dulce de Leche y Piña (Milk and Pineapple Fudge) is one of those treats that you can bring back home from a road trip.
My favorite aspect of this dessert is that it combines different textures (from the soft, creamy sauce to the chewiness of the pineapple) and also different flavors (sweet and sour). Prepare enough to fill a small jar and you'll have the perfect hostess gift to bring along at your next dinner invitation.
Dulce de leche y piña (milk and pineapple fudge) is a very simple dessert, you don't need to be an advanced cook to tackle this one.
Dulce de Leche y Piña Recipe (Milk and Pineapple Fudge)
- 6 cup milk
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 1 cup sugar, , divided
- 3 cup diced pineapple
- 1 quarts [1 lt] of water, (may need more)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon of lime or orange zest
- In a thick-bottom pot combine milk, cinnamon and ½ cup of sugar and boil over medium heat until the milk has reduced to a quarter of the original volume.
- Remove from heat and chill (after letting it cool down to room temperature).
- In another pot combine pineapple with water, vanilla, lime peels, and the remaining sugar until the pineapple is really soft, with the consistency of a jam (add more water as it becomes necessary).
- Let all the liquid evaporate and remove from the heat, then chill.
- Mix the milk and pineapple (both should be chilled, or the milk will curdle). Keep and serve chilled.
Tips and Notes
Nutritional information is calculated automatically based on ingredients listed. Please consult your doctor if you need precise nutritional information.