This quick Arroz Amarillo (Rice with Carrot and Onion) is perfect for when I cook more rice that we actually consume and is one of my favorite ways to reuse rice.
I am a big, huge fan of reusing leftovers. And this is why I think this Arroz Amarillo recipe (Rice with Carrot and Onion) is so brilliant.
But not everyone is a fan of reheated food. I once met somebody who told me that her husband never ate leftovers.
Poor lady. I don't know what positive qualities her husband may have, but for me, somebody who would not eat the occasional leftovers cannot be a candidate for Mr. Aunt Clara. At our home, we recycle all the leftovers, and the idea of spending hours and hours in the kitchen on a daily basis does not sit well with me.
Sure, I love cooking, a lot in fact, but on an everyday basis, we prefer uncomplicated dishes, lots of vegetables and light food. Long stays in the kitchen are left for special occasions.
But serving leftovers does not have to be boring. You have to be creative, add fresh ingredients, transform them into new dishes. So far my husband has not complained. OK, he's done it a few times, but he normally doesn't even notice when I "recycle" food.
If I had met my other half on one of those TV dating shows my first question would have been:
- "Contestant no. 1, in the following picture, where do you imagine your future spouse will spend the most time?"
Guess the correct answer. I bet you did.
About this rice with onion and carrot recipe
"Arroz Amarillo" (yellow rice) is not really any particular dish in our country. The name is given to any dish where rice has a prominent yellow color, and there are very many recipes for yellow rice out there. What sets this rice with carrot and onion recipe apart is that this one uses leftover Arroz Blanco (white rice), and it's super quick to make.
In one of the pictures you see I serve this with another of our super-quick recipes: Spicy Beef with Pepper and Orange. Try that combination.
Arroz Amarillo (Onion and Carrot Pilaf)
- 1 large carrot
- 1 large onion
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 6 cups of pre-cooked white rice (see recipe)
- 1 cup of vegetable broth
- 1 flat parsley sprig , minced
- Grate the carrot with the coarse side of the grater, or cut into very small cubes
- Cut the onion into very small cubes.
- Heat the oil over medium heat in a deep pot.
- Add the carrot and onion, cook and stir until the onions become translucent.
- Add the rice and mix well.
- Add the broth and cook over low heat for two minutes.
- Cover with a tight-fitting lid and cook for 7 minutes.
- Uncover and fluff with a fork. Mix with the parsley and serve warm.