Locrio de Camarones (Dominican Rice and Shrimp), a juicy rice dish bursting with tropical flavor that is truly a must-try.
This dish of Locrio de Camarones (Rice with Shrimp) is part of what forms an essential element of what it means to be Dominican: our cuisine, and how versatile and varied it is.
Although it is not the most common locrio (learn more about locrio, and all the ways to do it), this is one of those luxury versions that for sure your guests will enjoy and appreciate
About our recipe
As mentioned above, our cuisine is very versatile, and in this dish, it shines. All the ingredients in it are already part of our traditional cuisine, but may or may not be used in every home.
If there is something that makes your shrimp locrio different or some ingredient that cannot be missing from yours, we would love to hear it.
Locrio de Camarones Recipe (Dominican Rice and Shrimp)
- 2 lb [0.9 kg] of large shrimp , whole
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 bell pepper , cut into small pieces
- 4 cloves of garlic , crushed
- 1 cup of tomato sauce
- ⅛ cup seedless olives , sliced
- 2 teaspoons of salt (or more, to taste)
- 3 sprigs of parsley , minced
- 4 cups of rice
Make the base: Peel the shrimp removing the heads and shell. Set aside the shrimp and save it for later use. Boil the shells and heads in 8 cups of water over low heat until the liquid is reduced by half. Strain and discard the solids. Set aside the broth, we will use it later.
- Sautéing vegetables: In a thick-bottomed pot, heat the oil over low heat. Add peppers and garlic and cook for one minute (be careful not to burn it). Add the tomato sauce and olives. Mix well. Add the broth you made above and season with salt.
Add the rice: When it starts boiling, add parsley and the rice and cook over medium heat. Stir regularly to avoid sticking. When the liquid has evaporated, add the shrimp and mix well. Cover with an airtight lid and reduce the heat to very low.
- Stir the rice: Cook for 15 minutes. Uncover, stir by moving the rice from the bottom to the top. Cover again and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Taste: Uncover and taste the rice. It should be cooked but firm. If necessary, cover and cook for another five minutes at very low heat.
- Serving: Serve with salad and avocado.