Let not your pastelones, empanadas, and picaderas be boring for lack of choice. This tasty, juicy filling will make you add it to the favorites list.
Whether you're looking for new fillings for your pastelones, pasteles en hoja, or wondering how to make chicken empanada filling, in our blog you'll be spoiled for choice.
This "new" chicken with tomato sauce filling has served me well and appeared in many of our recipes. It now has its own home.
How to use it
You can actually serve this pulled chicken as a standalone meat dish, but I mostly use it to stuff a variety of pastelones and picaderas. These are some of my recommendations:
- Pasteles en hoja
- Pasteles en hoja de yuca
- Pastelón de yuca
- Pastelón de plátano maduro (for a non-traditional twist)
- Empanaditas y pastelitos
About this recipe
Chicken is no the most common and popular filling for pastelones, it's actually our beef filling, but many other fillings have their fans, including this Dominican chicken empanada filling. If you are short on time, use leftover chicken, or buy a rotisserie chicken, and continue with the process where it calls for shredding the chicken.
Anything else you'll stuff with this chicken filling? What's the secret ingredient for your best shredded chicken empanada filling recipe? Share in the comments.
[Recipe + Video] Chicken with Tomato Sauce Filling for Empanadas
- 4 chicken breasts, (1.8 lb [0.8 kg])
- 1 teaspoon of pepper, (whole)
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 2 teaspoons of salt, (or more, to taste), divided
- 1 red onion, halved
- 1 teaspoon oregano leaves, or ½ tsp dry oregano
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 2 sprigs of parsley, , plus extra, minced, for garnish
- Boil: Combine chicken breasts, pepper, garlic 1 teaspoon of salt, onion, and oregano. Add enough water to cover the chicken. Boil covered until chicken is very tender (20 - 30 mins), adding just enough water to prevent it from drying out and burning if it becomes necessary.
- Shred: Cool to room temperature. Remove chicken from the liquid (you can save it and use it as chicken broth). Shred the chicken into very small pieces.
- Cook: In a skillet heat the oil over medium heat. Add the shredded chicken and cook stirring until it has heated through (about 3 minutes). Pour in the tomato sauce and parsley, and cook stirring until everything is heated. Season with salt to taste.
- Serve: Serve warm as a standalone dish, or cool to room temperature before stuffing empanadas and pastelones.