Repollo Guisado (Cabbage Stew) is a great side dish if you are vegan vegetarian, and if not, it goes great with your choice of grilled meat.
This post is sponsored by Holland House
How did you get here? Are you a cabbage-lover? Someone interested in eating better? Or were you looking for this Repollo Guisado recipe because you are a vegan or vegetarian? Well, then, lend me your ear...
For a significant period of my life, I was a vegetarian living in the Dominican Republic. While things have improved abstaining from meat wasn't particularly easy back then.
Eating out was many times a challenge though, luckily, Dominican cooking offers many vegetarian-friendly choices, if you know how to navigate our traditional cuisine.
I am no longer a vegetarian, though I appreciate vegan and vegetarian cuisine all the better for my long stint as one.
About this Repollo Guisado recipe
This vegetarian cabbage stew saved my hide a few times. It is a great side dish if you are a vegan or vegetarian, and, if not, it goes great with your choice of grilled meat.
There may be some variation in the way Dominican cooks make this, but not significantly. If you make it in a different way, I'd love to hear it.
Repollo Guisado - Recipe & Video (Cabbage Stew)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion , cut into strips
- 1 clove of garlic , crushed
- 1 bell pepper , cut into strips
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1/4 head of cabbage , shredded
- 1/3 cup Holland House white wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup of water
- 1 teaspoon of salt (or more to taste)
- 1 teaspoon of hot sauce of your preference (or more to taste)
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat.
- Cook and stir the onions and garlic until the onions become translucent. Add the bell pepper and tomatoes. Cook over low heat for 3 minutes. Add the tomato sauce.
- Stir in the cabbage, vinegar and water and simmer over very low heat until the cabbage is wilted (about 5 mins.).
- Season with salt and hot sauce to taste. Serve with rice.