Combine two of Dominicans' favorite roots in a creamy, luscious, tasty Cepa de Apio and Yuca Mash (Arracacha and Cassava Puree) to die for.
Why we ❤️ it
The first time I made this delicious mash it was out of necessity: I wanted to serve mashed potatoes but didn't have any.
I'm not a big fan of cassava (yuca) mash; it tends to be a bit too dry and sticky, although the flavor can be heavenly. So I figured I would mix it with another root I love, which has a more forgiving texture: celeriac. The mash was just what the doctor ordered -- metaphorically speaking. It was the perfect texture and the ingredients were hard to discern once mixed: the sweetness of a good yuca and the lightness of celeriac.
Arracacha and cassava puree.
About this recipe
But if you are thinking "light" or "bland", you'd be mistaken. The addition of heavy cream makes it as indulgent as the best mashed potatoes I have eaten -- and I have eaten great mashed potatoes. By the way, you can follow the same recipe and substitute potatoes for cepa de apio and yuca to make the world's best mashed potatoes. Word.
To complete this meal I served the mash with my quick, easy pork escalopes, liver with onions, or this rabbit fricasé.
This awesome free recipe contains Amazon affiliate links, we receive a small commission from any purchase you make at no extra cost to you. Thanks!
Cepa de Apio and Yuca Mash (Arracacha and Cassava Puree)
For the mash
- ¾ pound yuca (cassava), [0.75 kg], (yuca), peeled and chopped
- ¾ pound celeriac, [0.75 kg], peeled and chopped
- ½ tablespoon salt, (plus more for seasoning at the end)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoon onion powder
- ¼ cup chopped chives
- Boil: Place cassava (yuca) and celeriac in a pot, and add sufficient water to cover it plus a couple of inches [5 cm]. Boil until they are very soft, adding ½ tablespoon table salt to the water. Once boiled remove from the water and discard the water.
- Mash: Remove the hard center of the yuca (look like nerves). Mash until the mixture is very smooth and there aren't any lumps (a potato ricer or food mill [Amazon affiliate links] is perfect for it).
- Add cream: Incorportate heavy cream and onion powder and mix well. Taste and season with salt to taste if you find it necessary.
- Serve: Sprinkle with chopped chives before serving.
Nutritional information is calculated automatically based on ingredients listed. Please consult your doctor if you need precise nutrition information.