On Saturday my family and I spent the afternoon at the Eco-Fair sponsored by the PuntaCana Ecological Foundation. There were a few activities related to their environmental protection, recycling, organic farming and other endeavors. O
ne of the attractions was a cooking demonstration by Chef Rogelio Garcia, from the PuntaCana Hotel, using organic vegetables and products from the Foundation’s farm.
In the almost nine years since we started our site we have seldomly covered so-called “social events”, although we are invited to them from time to time. We only do so if we find it is something worth our time, something we can support, and most importantly, something that will be of interest to our readers. This is one of such occasions.
Puntacana is a pioneer in starting a recycling program in the country. Garbage is separated at home between organics, recyclables (plastic, metal and glass), and refuse. The organic garbage is vermicomposted and turned into fertilizer, which is in turn used at the organic farm that produces fruits and vegetables for the hotel and for sale. The recyclables are sold for re-use or recycling.
These initiatives of responsible living were one of the most important aspects we took into consideration when Aunt Ilana’s family and mine decided to relocate to PuntaCana. The protection of the environment has always been a cause that is near and dear to us.
We dream that someday this will be extended to the whole country. This is our only land, there is nowhere to escape. Let’s protect what we received, we owe it to our children.
- 1 cup of corn meal (harina de maíz)
- 6 cups of milk
- 2 cups of coconut milk (optional - see notes)
- 1 cup of brown sugar cane
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- ½ tablespoon of cloves, or ¼ teaspoon of clove powder
- A pinch of ground nutmeg
- Mix all the ingredients (minus the nutmeg) in a pot, let it rest for 10 minutes.
- Cook over medium heat until it breaks the boil. Stir constantly to avoid sticking.
- Once it starts boiling reduce heat to low. Cook and stir for another 4 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and pour into serving dishes. Sprinkle with nutmeg
- Serve hot or at room temperature.