We know it’s Christmas in the DR when mandarines show in roadside stands, corner fruit vendors and supermarkets. How about you combine the official fruit of the holidays with the superior flavor our the Dominican rum in a drink that you can serve year-round?
Serve all the flavors of Christmas to your guests with this licor de mandarina (mandarin orange liqueur).
Learned from my mom, this easy-to-make drink mixes the flavor of Dominican rum and the sweetness of mandarins. As a reader commented once: “This is a very cool way to have your rum without a frown. A lady’s drink…”
Make many bottles, and gift them to your friends or family. An inexpensive, personalized gift that they are sure to appreciate.
- 2 cups of rum
- ½ cup mandarin peels
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1 cup of water
- Get rid of as much as the white coating inside the peel.
- Mix the rum and the mandarin peels.
- Put in a jar and leave in the refrigerator for 5 days.
- Strain the rum with a clean cloth, reserve.
- Mix the water and the sugar and boil over low heat until only a third of the liquid is left.
- Cool down to room temperature.
- Mix the syrup with the rum.
- Chill before serving.
The color of the liqueur depends on what rum you use.