It may look like flan, but there's a subtle difference. Let me explain why you'll love our Quesillo (Coconut Creme Caramel).
Why we ❤️ it
Dominicans certainly adore their sweets and desserts and have something of a sweet tooth. This quesillo (Dominican coconut flan) is one of the most popular ones.
This dessert combines the creaminess of flan and the flavor of coconut.
Quesillo vs flan
The recipes for Dominican Quesillo (Coconut creme caramel) and flan may look the same to the naked eye... well, they are almost the same. But while I have yet to find the exact explanation for why these are two different desserts, I wrote extensively about it on the flan recipe introduction.
This coconut version has a lighter texture than flan, and the coconut milk adds a whole new layer of goodness to it.
About this recipe
The original recipe upon which ours is based was given to us by Adriana, one of our readers over a decade ago
This recipe yields 6 generous servings.
This awesome free recipe contains Amazon affiliate links, we receive a small commission from any purchase you make at no extra cost to you. Thanks!
[Recipe + Video] Quesillo (Easy Coconut Flan)
- 1 cup sugar (white, granulated)
- 1 tablespoon water
- ½ toasted coconut flakes, (optional, see notes)
- Prepping mold: Mix sugar and water and cook in a heavy saucepan over low heat until a thick, light brown caramel syrup forms.Pour carefully into 6-cup [1.5 l] baking pan and cover the bottom and sides of the pan. Be careful, as hot caramel is indeed very hot and the pan will get very hot too. Set aside to cool down until the caramel hardens.
- Making quesillo mix: Combine eggs, sweetened condensed milk, and coconut milk. Sieve to get rid of undissolved egg parts. Pour carefully into the baking pan, trying not to disturb the caramel layer.
- Cooking: Bake in a hot water bath (bain-marie) in an oven preheated to 320 ºF [160 ºC] for one hour or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from the oven and water bath. Cool to room temperature. Chill. Loosen edges of flan, place a serving plate on top of the mold (one which will retain the syrup), and invert.
- Serving: Serve chilled. Garnish with the coconut flakes.
Tips and Notes
Nutritional information is calculated automatically based on ingredients listed. Please consult your doctor if you need precise nutritional information.
Published Jan 2, 2011, revised