Jalea de Batata Dulce (Sweet Potato Pudding) always gets us out of a jam and let us serve something that everyone will appreciate without too much effort.
If you are ever short on time or energy and have to come up with a dessert to please everybody, then Jalea de Batata Dulce (Sweet Potato Pudding) is just what you need.
It’s perfect for the busy woman (or man).
Dulce de Batata is one of my go-to desserts on those days that I am feeling a bit too lazy. I have yet to see anyone thumb their nose at it, most certainly not a Dominican. We love this dessert, however strange it may seem to outsiders. And the best thing is how uncomplicated it is. Perfect for when we don’t want to push ourselves too much.
Take good care of yourself, and when needed, cook things that don’t require slaving long hours in front of the stove.
Jalea de Batata Dulce Recipe (Sweet Potato Pudding)
- 1/2 lb [0.23 kg] of sweet potatoes , boiled soft
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 1 cup of evaporated milk
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon powder
- 1 teaspoon clove powder
- 1/3 cup sugar (or more, to taste)
- 1/4 cup of raisins (optional)
- 1/4 cup of toasted coconut flakes (optional)
- A pinch of freshly-grated nutmet
- Blend together sweet potatoes, coconut milk, milk, salt, cinnamon, clove and 1/3 cup sugar of sugar until there are no clumps.
- Add the raisins and heat in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat, stirring constantly to avoid sticking. Once it has thickened to yogurt-like consistency, taste and add more sugar to taste if needed. Remove from the heat.
- Pour into a metal bowl and stir until it has cooled to room temperature. Chill.
- Serve in individual bowls, sprinkle with nutmeg and coconut flakes, serve.
Originally published Jan 2, 2005