What to do with herbs that are going bad? This Homemade Seasoning Powder (Dominican Sazon) solves that and helps shorten preparation time.
Why we ❤️ it
Whenever I need to use seasoning powder at home, I prefer my own Homemade Seasoning Powder. I'm a huge fan of modern conveniences, but when it comes to food, homemade is almost always better.
I like to write our recipes in a way that encourages people to live more frugally and eat more naturally. I make it from fresh herbs that are starting to wilt and spoil, so nothing is wasted.
About this recipe
So why take the time to make Homemade Seasoning Powder?
It's made from ingredients we already have. And it tastes better. Another reason to make this seasoning powder is to save a bunch of herbs from ending in the trash. I don't like wasting food. Once you see how easy it is to make this you too will be loath to pay for seasoning powder.
[Recipe + Video] Homemade Seasoning Powder
- Setting on pan: Remove the oregano sticks to leave just the leaves.Spread the parsley, thyme, cilantro, oregano, garlic, and onion on a baking sheet.
- Drying in dehydrator: Place in dehydrator for 4-5 hours, or until completely dry (they will crumble when pressed). Drying in oven: Dry on metal tray in the oven at 176 ºC [80 ºC] (or as low as possible) for 4 hours, or until all ingredients are dry (they will crumble when pressed).Drying in microwave: Microwave herbs only (no garlic or onion - see notes) on a microwave-safe tray for 30 seconds. Check to see that they are completely dry (they will crumble when pressed). Microwave for another 10 seconds if they need to be dried some more.The color of the resulting powder will depend on the combination of herbs and the drying method.
- Cleaning: Remove from the oven/dehydrator/microwave and remove the remaining oregano and thyme sticks, leaving only the leaves.
- Pulverizing: Pulverize in a food processor or coffee grinder.
- Storing: To store, put in an airtight container in a cool, dry place (see notes).Use it to season vegetables, meats, and fish.
Tips and Notes
Nutritional information is calculated automatically based on ingredients listed. Please consult your doctor if you need precise nutritional information.