Summer is coming! I bring you the newest weapon in my arsenal of heat-busting drinks for the season: A lovely, refreshing batido de mango to transport you to our tropical paradise. This passionfruit and mango smoothie is my family's new obsession.
Why we ❤️ it
If you've been around for the last 20 years this blog has been public; you'll know that I am about to spend the next few months complaining about the heat and sharing recipes that don't require spending a lot of time in the kitchen.
It's a tradition we strictly adhere to. Try this fantastic batido de mango, and you'll be glad you stayed just so you can enjoy this new and wonderful tropical drink.
What is this?
Is it a smoothie? A batido? A creamsicle? A morir soñando?
It is all of the above. A mixture of freshly-made passionfruit juice, some mango, milk, and ice makes this a combination that fits many categories. For those familiar with morir soñando (our unofficial national drink), this will taste familiar: a combination of citrus juice and milk. Adding mango adds another exciting layer to it.
For us Dominicans, it would be a batida de mango y chinola (passionfruit, and mango milkshake), a combination of two of our favorite Dominican fruits. For our US-based readers, it will be a creamsicle drink of sorts.
Batida de mango (mango and passionfruit smoothie).
You can definitely substitute your favorite sweetener for sugar, but bear in mind it might alter the taste significantly. If you'll serve it to guests, make a test run to see how it tastes with sweetener.
There may be lactose-free evaporated milk available at your local supermarket. Check it out if needed.
If you can only find frozen mango, it's OK to use it. You don't need to thaw it.
About this recipe
Can you mix mango and milk? Yes, yes you can, no problem. Can you mix passionfruit and milk? Also, yes, but there's a trick. I have talked about in our morir soñando recipe: You can combine an acidic juice and milk if both are very cold (close but not at freezing temperatures). Once they get warmer, the milk will curdle.
The recipe includes some variations, including how to prepare beforehand so you can serve to guests, and ways to adapt to some diets:
Also bear in mind that the quality of the fruits, the acidity of the passionfruit, and the sweetness of the mango all will alter the taste. I am blessed with great quality mango and fresh passionfruit (or passion fruit? ), so that's what I am basing my judgment on. 🙂
I hope you love it as much as we do!
This awesome free recipe contains Amazon affiliate links, we receive a small commission from any purchase you make at no extra cost to you. Thanks!
[Recipe + Video] Batida de Mango (Passionfruit and Mango Smoothie)
- 1½ cup fresh passionfruit pulp, (or 1 cup of pure passionfruit juice)
- 4 cup ice cubes
- 3 cup evaporated milk, (or preferred milk substitute)
- 2 cup diced fresh mango, (about 2 large mangos)
- ⅔ cup sugar (white, granulated), (or equivalent of preferred sweetener)
- Blend the passionfruit pulp until the seeds have started to break down. Sieve to discard seeds and solids. Chill (15 mins in the freezer, or at least two hours in the fridge).
- In the blender vase, combine ice, milk, mango, and sugar. Blend until the ice has been crushed and the mixture is thick and smooth.Pour in the passionfruit juice and run the blender for a few seconds to combine.
- This is best served right away, otherwise, the milk will curdle with the passionfruit juice. You can store it in the freezer for about 15-20 minutes. It'll start to solidify, but you can blend again right before serving.If you need to prepare well ahead of 20 minutes. then blend milk and mango. Refrigerate separate from the passionfruit juice, and blend everything right before serving.
Tips and Notes
Nutritional information is calculated automatically based on ingredients listed. Please consult your doctor if you need precise nutrition information.
- The New York Times - De Gustibus A Word or Two About Passionfruit