You don't need a machine to make this delicious Helado de Morir Soñando (Creamy Orange Ice Cream). Creamy just like the ones from the store, but tastes better.
Why we ❤️ it
A few weeks back in a conversation with some fellow bloggers I mentioned that, eventually, I might run out of Dominican dishes to write about. Oops. Hit the panic button!
Not really. I have four words for you: morir soñando ice cream!
In 12 years doing this I have gone through about a little over half of my list of Dominican recipes. Mind you I did not always do this with regularity, there were periods in which I did take a break, but I never stopped. I figure that at the rate I am going I have another decade. And I not only write about Dominican food, so there's that too.
Well, food evolves, some dishes have appeared now that didn't exist 12 years ago. And I have come up with some dishes that heavily borrow from our cuisine and that some that people have simply adopted as part of our Dominican heritage.
Which is how this dish came about.
About this recipe
I love finding new ways to "re-imagine" our dishes, new ways to serve them.
They might not be the traditional ones, but they still retain the essence of our flavors, of our cultural heritage. So no matter how long we keep doing this, there will always be something to write about.
The best thing is that you can make this recipe without an ice-cream machine (though I happen to own one), but if you have one too, well, that'll make it easier.
Helado de Morir Soñando (Creamy Orange Ice Cream)
- Place the orange juice and heavy cream separately in the freezer and cool for 20 minutes.
- Place heavy cream, juice and vanilla extract in a blender. Add sugar to taste and blend.
- Pour into a bowl, cover and place back in the freezer.
- An hour later scoop back into the blender vase and blend again until it turns into a slurry.
- Pour into the bowl, cover and return to the freezer for an hour
- Repeat steps 4 and 5 three more times, returning to the freezer for an hour each time.
- Once the ice cream is frozen, serve. If it is too hard, let it rest outside the freezer for a minute before serving.
Tips and Notes
Nutritional information is calculated automatically based on ingredients listed. Please consult your doctor if you need precise nutritional information.