By adding this simple and delicious recipe to our collection we want to do more than just share the pleasures of this dish, this is also a plea to help save our national tree: the Royal Palm tree (palma real).
- 2 lbs. of heart of palm diced into large pieces
- 2 tablespoons of oil
- 1 large green bell pepper cut into small cubes
- 4 plum tomatoes cut into small cubes
- 2 tablespoons of tomato paste
- 1 large onion sliced finely
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground black pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon of mashed garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon of vinegar
- Heat a tablespoon of oil in a shallow pan. Sautee the onions, add the pepper, tomatoes, garlic and vinegar, add water when necessary. Add the heart of palm and the black pepper. Let simmer for 4 minutes reducing liquid to obtain a thin sauce. Adjust salt to taste.