There are many versions of Arroz con Leche (Spiced Rice Pudding) but this Dominican recipe makes for a creamy texture and heavenly mix of spices that stands out above the crowd.
Why we ❤️ it
Arroz con Leche se quiere casar / Con una viudita de la capital / Que sepa tejer, que sepa bordar / Que ponga la aguja en el mismo lugar.
- Children's rhyme
Dominican-style Arroz con Leche is one of the most popular and simple-to-make desserts in the Dominican Republic. To the naked eye, it could look like any same old rice pudding, but once you taste it you can't fail to notice the touch of spices that make our Arroz con Dulce so different, in a good way.
Throughout the world
Arroz con leche --rice pudding in English-- is truly a nearly-universal dish. It is made in many ways and with varying ingredients throughout the world. This arroz con leche recipe is just one of the many Hispanic rice pudding recipes.
Different countries may use different combinations of ingredients, but the basis will be rice, milk, sugar, and some type of spices.
In Denmark, a country where I have spent a lot of time, Rice Pudding is a Christmas tradition, and it's called Risalamande. It's prepared with cream, instead of milk, and served as part of the traditional Christmas Eve dinner.
Arroz con leche or arroz con dulce.
Arroz con dulce
In the Dominican Republic, this dish is also known as arroz con dulce, to differentiate it from a savory rice pudding version that is also relatively popular.
Arroz con leche amargo
Arroz con leche salado or arroz con leche amargo (it's not bitter, "amargo" also means unsweetened in Spanish) is a version of this dish traditionally served as dinner, sometimes prepared with leftover arroz blanco (white rice).
My mother used to make the sugarless version often. Bear in mind that this is an acquired taste, one that I never acquired myself. If you want to try it, though, there are also instructions in the notes for it.
About our recipe
This is my favorite combination for arroz con leche (or arroz con dulce), you may adapt it to your own personal taste, and I give suggestions for doing that in the recipe notes.
This awesome free recipe contains Amazon affiliate links, we receive a small commission from any purchase you make at no extra cost to you. Thanks!
[Recipe + Video] Arroz con Leche (Spiced Rice Pudding)
- 1 cup rice
- 6 cloves
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- 6 cup water, , divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cup evaporated milk
- 1 cup sugar (white, granulated)
- ¼ cup raisins
- 2 tablespoons butter (salted)
- ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg (freshly-grated)
- Cherries for decoration, (optional)
- Soak the rice, cloves and cinnamon sticks in 2 cups of water and let sit for a couple of hours. This step is optional, and it's my own method for cooking the rice.
- When the 2 hours have passed, pour the remaining 4 cups of water into a medium (1 gal [4 lt]) iron o cast aluminum pot. Add in the rice (including the water in which it was soaking, cinnamon and cloves). Add the salt.
- Cook over medium temperature and stir regularly to avoid sticking. When the rice is tender (about 20 mins) add milk and sugar. When it breaks a boil again add the raisins. Cook over low heat until the mixture reaches a pudding-like consistency.
- Remove from the heat. Remove the cloves and cinnamon sticks. Add the butter and mix well. Cover and let it cool down to room temperature.
- Stir to incorporate the crust that forms during cooling.
- Serve in small bowls and sprinkle with the nutmeg. Decorate with the cherries.
Tips and Notes
How to make arroz con dulce your wayEach person seems to have a favorite consistency for this dish. This is what I prefer (rice is very soft and the pudding very creamy). Later on, when preparing this dish again you can adjust the liquids to obtain the texture you prefer.
How to make arroz con leche "amargo"If you want to make the sugar-free rice pudding that is served for breakfast, do not add the sugar listed in the ingredients, and instead of the teaspoon of salt listed in the recipe, add salt to taste.
How to make rice pudding using cooked riceAh, my mom's favorite trick to reuse old arroz blanco... This is also a super rice quick easy recipe to make arroz con leche using pre-cooked rice: Mix the cooked white rice and the rest of the ingredients listed above (except the 4 cups of water!) and jump straight to step three. You can choose to make it savory or sweet.
Nutritional information is calculated automatically based on ingredients listed. Please consult your doctor if you need precise nutrition information.
More rice pudding recipes
- Rice Pudding with Coconut Brûlée
- Danish Rice Pudding (Risalamande)
- Portuguese Rice Pudding (Arroz Doce)
- Spanish Arroz con Leche