Rice Pudding is one of our favorite dishes, and if you love it too you'll agree with us that these Arroz con Leche (Rice Pudding) Popsicles are just amazing.
If you have been around for a while, you have probably noticed how our cooking changes as summer approaches, we post fewer recipes of soups, fewer dishes that require long cooking, simpler, more refreshing recipes, and we go crazy with paletas.
May I interest you in an Arroz con Leche Paletas (Frozen Rice Pudding Popsicles)?
You may think that I am a bit obsessed with paletas (popsicles), and you'd be wrong, I am very obsessed with them, and already have a long list of ideas that I'll be posting this summer.
I am in a quest to turn many foods I love into popsicles, so I can enjoy them even more in our hot summers.
About our recipe
We Dominicans love our Arroz con Leche (Rice Pudding), we can have it for breakfast, dessert and dinner. Literally. And while you may be a bit doubtful about the idea of turning it into a frozen rice pudding dessert, trust me, it works.
The rice, cooked softer and more liquidy than your typical rice pudding, lends a creaminess to the popsicles that I loved. If you have an ice-cream machine, get adventurous, make this into ice cream instead of paletas.
Of course, my opinion has to be confirmed by my crack team of testers (my daughter and her friends), and trust me, they are not easy to please. And pleased they were.
They loved it! I did too.
Rice Pudding Popsicles
- ¼ cup rice, uncooked, [50 g] (see notes)
- 8 cup water, [1.9 l]
- ½ teaspoon salt, [0.71 l]
- 3 cup evaporated milk, [0.71 l]
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract, [15 ml]
- 1 cup sugar, [200 g]
- ¼ cup of golden raisins, (sultanas) [40 g]
- Cook rice: Pour the water, rice, and salt into a medium (1 gal [4 lt]) iron o cast aluminum pot.Cook over medium-low temperature and stir regularly to avoid sticking. When the rice is very soft (about 20 mins) add milk, vanilla, and sugar. When it breaks a boil again add the raisins. Cook until the mixture has reduced to a third of the original volume.
- Cool rice: Cool to room temperature. Stir to incorporate the crust that forms during cooling.
Tips and Notes
Nutritional information is calculated automatically based on ingredients listed. Please consult your doctor if you need precise nutritional information.