A popular combination in the Dominican Republic, and reputed to be highly nutritious, you'll surely enjoy this refreshing, nutritious Jugo de Remolacha y Naranja o Limón (Beet Juice).
We Dominicans love juices, after all, this is a tropical haven, with warm days, and a wealth of vegetables and fruits to choose from. Some of our juices are more nutritious and healthful than others, some are more popular than others, like this beetroot juice with orange or lime juice.
If you are looking for something lighter and better for your health than excessively sugary drinks, this is a popular combination you may love.
Beetroot and benefits
Beetroot is a carbohydrate-rich vegetable (10% carbohydrates), sugar is extracted from it where sugarcane can't be grown. It also contains 2% protein is a rich source of folate and a moderate source (16% DV) of manganese.
Combining it with either orange or lime juice, makes this a good source of vitamin C.
About this recipe
And if you enjoy the occasional cold drink with your meal, then do we ever have great ones for you. This traditional Dominican vegetable juice is supposed to have medicinal properties. And while that is an area outside of my expertise, I can attest that it tastes much better than the combination sounds.
Check our other Dominican juice recipes that we also recommend you try.
Jugo de Remolacha y Naranja o Limón Recipe (Beet Juice)
For the beet juice
- 6 large beets, , washed
- 1 large carrot, , scrubbed (optional)
- 16 oz lime or orange juice
- Sugar or sweetener, to taste
- Cut vegetables: Cut the beets and carrots into large cubes.
- Blend: Combine carrot and beet 2 qt [2 l] of potable water and liquefy in the blender.Sieve and get rid of the solids (optional, this is how is traditionally done).
- Add juice: Mix in the lime or orange juice.Add sugar or sweetener to taste.
- Serve: Chill or add ice and serve.