Yeah, I went there: I took the longaniza out of the case. I stuffed it between slices of Pan de Agua to make some surprisingly tasty and juicy burgers.
Is it summer yet? Pardon me, but this concept of seasons is so foreign to us Dominicans. We seem to only have two seasons: comfortably cool, and hellishly humid and hot.
If where you live you can already drag the grill out of its winter hibernation, then I suppose these Longaniza Hamburgers come just in time.
Here in the Dominican Republic, any time is a good time for grilling.
About this recipe
Just to be clear, this is not a traditional Dominican recipe, I was just curious to see if it would work, and darn if it didn't! Stuffed into two halves of Pan de Agua, and with some super-flavorful, juicy patties made of longaniza, they were ridiculously tasty. Fancy they ain't, but you'll be dreaming of a next time after you try them.
If you don't have a way to get Dominican longaniza, you're in luck: We have a Caseless Longaniza recipe, and since we don't need the casing, that's just perfect. If you can find good quality longaniza, even better, you'll save yourself some time.
Roll out the grill, let's get this summer going!
[Recipe + Video] Longaniza Hamburgers
- Gas grill (you may need to adjust time for charcoal grill)
- 1 pound longaniza, , raw
- 1 thinly sliced red onion, large (or two small)
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon vinegar , I used fruit vinegar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 4 tablespoon ketchup
- 4 panes de agua, (or mini-baguettes)
- 4 tablespoon salted butter
- 2 tomatoes, very ripe, sliced thinly
- 8 leaves of lettuce, use curly or leaf lettuce
- How to make the onions garnish: Heat a tablespoon of oil in a skillet over low heat. Add onions and cook and stir until they become translucent. Pour in vinegar and season with salt to taste. Set them aside.
- How to make the sauce: Mix mayo and ketchup. Set aside.
- How to make the patties: Remove and discard the longaniza casings. Divide the stuffing into 4 equal portions, and form oval-shaped patties roughly the same size as the bread.
- How to cook the burger patties: Preheat the grill to medium high. Grill, the burgers, without pressing, for 4 minutes. They should have a light golden colors and faint grill marks. Flip the patties and grill until the other side is looks the same as the top.
- How to grill the bread: Slice the bread and spread butter on the inside. Grill at the same time you're grilling the meat, pressing the bread to flatten them, flip so they have grill marks on both sides.
- Assemble your burgers: Assemble in the following order: Bottom bread slice, mayo-ketchup sauce, tomato, lettuce, meat patty, onion, sauce, top bread slice. They should be consumed immediately.
Tips and Notes
Nutritional information is calculated automatically based on ingredients listed. Please consult your doctor if you need precise nutritional information.