A great recipe to accompany the afternoon coffee (or tea). This recipe is fairly easy to prepare and can be kept for up to a week in the appropriate conditions. This recipe was sent to me by ”Monchi”, it worked very well, so we made very few changes.
Time: 1 hr. Serves: 4
Before starting to cook: Preheat oven to 300°F (150°C).
- 4 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 cup of butter
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of vanilla or almond extract
- 3/4 cups of milk
- 1 1/4 cups of caster sugar
- 3 tablespoons of brown sugar
~ For the filling
- 1 cup of fig or guava marmalade
- Mix flour and baking powder. Reserve
- Combine milk and vanilla extract. Reserve.
- In a separate bowl beat butter and brown sugar until the butter has turned a very light yellow. Add milk and flour alternating between the two until they are well mixed.
- Using a rolling pin extend the dough on a clean surface which you had previously sprinkled with flour. Cut 3″ x 3″ squares of dough. Put a teaspoon of marmalade in one extreme and roll shut sealing the ends.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Cover the little rolls with the caster sugar while still hot. Cool to room temperature before serving.
- Keep in a sealed container.