Our original vegan pastelitos and empanadas stuffing just got so much better. It's so good that everyone --vegan or not-- will have seconds.
If you've ever made our pastelitos recipes you may be having a sense of déjà vu... You're not seeing things, this was part of the pastelitos recipe before. We've now given it its own home, but we've also improved the recipe, so you'll be glad to try this.
Aunt Ilana and I have been brainstorming ideas to improve the content for our ever-growing vegetarian and vegan readership, something that we've always thought important. So I wanted to make this real simple vegetarian stuffing recipe more flavorful, richer, and worthy of being stuffed into our beloved pastelitos and empanadas.
I think I've succeeded beyond my expectations.
About this recipe
This veggie stuffing recipe works not just despite, but because of its simplicity and the common, inexpensive ingredients in it. It has a richness of flavor that surprised me, and not only is it great to make picaderas, it is also a great side dish in itself.
[Recipe + Video] Vegan Vegetable Mix Stuffing
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 bell pepper, diced (¼ inch [½ cm])
- ½ cup of sweet corn, boiled (1 small can)
- ½ cup of green peas, boiled (1 small can)
- 1 small carrot, peeled and diced (¼ inch [½ cm])
- 1 medium potato, peeled and diced
- 1 teaspoon of salt, or to taste
- 1 small red onion, diced (¼ inch [½ cm])
- ½ teaspoon of pepper, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon of hot sauce, or to taste
- Sauteing onions: Heat the oil over low heat in a medium-sized skillet. Add the potato, carrot, and onion and cook and stir until the onions become translucent. Cover and cook over low heat for 10 minutes.
- Cooking vegetables: Stir in bell pepper, and corn. Season with a teaspoon of salt and ½ teaspoon of pepper.Cover and cook over low heat for another 5 minutes.
- Adding peas: Add peas and stir until heated through (about a minute). Season with hot sauce, and salt to taste if you find it necessary.Remove from the heat.
- Serving: Serve as a standalone vegan side dish, or use to stuff pastelones, picaderas, or empanadas.