Made of flavors borrowed from the Motherland, this White Beans (Cannellini) and Chorizo Stew is a perfect symphony of spices.
If you ever have a craving for a tasty, creamy, rich stew with strong flavors, this White Beans (Cannellini) and Chorizo Stew may just be what you need. There are spices galore in it.
No wonder Columbus risked life and limb in a dangerous adventure in his pursuit of spices. Our lives would be duller without them, and for enthusiastic food-lovers, nothing warms the cockles of our heart like a well-spiced dish.
This is a dish that is inspired by Spanish cuisine and a bit by Dominican bean stews like Sancocho de Habichuelas and Chambre, but for this, we're using a type of bean that is not the most common in Dominican cuisine and combining it with authentic Spanish chorizo.
And in the winter time is when this stew truly shines bright, warming our bones with its comforting flavors.
White Beans (Cannellini) and Chorizo Stew Recipe
- 2 cups of dry white beans
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 lb of chorizo (Spanish sausage) sliced
- 3 cloves of garlic , crushed
- 1 red bell pepper , diced
- 2 large potatoes , diced
- 1 large carrot , diced
- 1 red onion , diced
- 4 sprigs of thyme
- 1 1/2 teaspoon of salt (or more, to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon of pepper (or more, to taste)
- Soak the beans in abundant water overnight. Discard the water and rinse the beans.
- Boil the beans in fresh water until they are very soft. This may take up to an hour in a regular pot, or 20 minutes in a pressure cooker. Separate the beans from the water in which it boiled. Set both aside.
- In a pot heat the oil over very low heat. Add the chorizo, garlic, bell pepper, potatoes, carrot, onion and thyme. Cook and stir until the onion becomes translucent (3 to 5 minutes).
- Add the beans to the pot, increase the heat to medium and cook and stir for a minute. Add the water in which the beans were boiled. If you obtained less than 5 cups complete with fresh water.
- Simmer over medium heat until the vegetables are cooked throughout.
Serve with white rice.