Every culture’s cuisine has dishes that are supposed to have aphrodisiac properties. These dishes range from the harmless to the clearly bizarre. Luckily the dishes in our cuisine alleged to help one’s amorous skills are a pleasure to eat just for the sake of delicious foods.
This is one of those dishes.
While conch contains many beneficial nutrients, and a healthy body is definitely more capable of engaging in romantic activities, conch most likely won this reputation from the principles of sympathetic magic, as a conch resembles a certain part of the female anatomy.
Ok. I think I am done with the euphemisms.
Whichever the effects you are seeking I invite you to try this delicious dish so popular in the coastal areas of the Dominican Republic.
Stewed conch is a delicious recipe that will keep you coming for more. Lambí is said to have aphrodisiac properties. Find out for yourself.
- 1 lb of conch, raw, and ground (or cut into cubes)
- 2 limes cut into quarters
- 2 bell peppers cut into cubes
- 1 small red onion chopped into small cubes
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 cup of tomato sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon of mashed garlic
- Hot sauce
- In a pot, heat the oil over low heat.
- Cook and stir the onion and garlic until the onion becomes transparent.
- Add the peppers and cook covered for a minute.
- Add the conch and cook and stir for three minutes over medium heat.
- Add the tomato sauce and half a cup of water and mix well.
- Cook over low heat until it breaks the boil. Do not overdo it or the conch will become rubbery.
- Season with salt and hot sauce to taste.
- Garnish with the lemon wedges and serve with tostones or arroz blanco.
Originally published March 2003.