For the filling – 2 tablespoon olive oil – 1 red onion, [65g], minced – 1 tablespoon mashed garlic – 1 pound minced beef, [454g] – 1 cup tomato sauce, [115g] – 1 bell pepper, seeded and minced – 1½ teaspoons salt, (or more, to taste) – ½ teaspoons pepper (freshly-cracked, or ground), (or more, to taste) – 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro, (or parsley) To assemble – 6 plantain (ripe, yellow) – 1 teaspoon salt – ¼ cup butter (salted), plus extra to grease pan. – 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, (see notes)
- Find recipe and instructions for filling here.
- Peel the plantains and boil adding 1 teaspoon of salt to the water. Once the plantains are fork tender (15 - 20 mins), remove from the heat.
- Take the plantains out of the water right away, and mash them with a fork. Add the butter and keep mashing until it is very smooth with no lumps.
- Grease a 1-inch tall baking pan. Put half of the plantains mixture in the baking pan. Cover with half of the cheese. - Cover the cheese with the meat. Cover with the remaining plantain mixture. Cover with the rest of the cheese.
- Cook in preheated oven to 350 °F [175 °C] until the top is golden brown.
It will be easier to serve if you wait five minutes after removing from the oven.