Moro de Guandules con Coco (Rice, Pigeon Peas and Coconut) Recipe
Moro de Guandules con Coco Recipe (Rice, Pigeon Peas & Coconut): an amazing dish that comes from Samana and happily adopted by all Dominicans.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 25 minutes
Total Time 35 minutes
Servings 6 porciones
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil , divided
- 1 teaspoon of finely chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup of chopped celery
- 1/8 cup of capers (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon mashed garlic
- 12 pitted olives cut into halves (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon of thyme leaves
- 1/4 cup of chopped cubanelle or bell peppers (1 pepper, aprox)
- 1 pinch of oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 3 cups pigeon peas (boiled or canned [amazon affiliate link])
- 3 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup of tomato sauce
- 2 cups of coconut milk
- 4 cups rice (medium grain, carolina, canilla [amazon affiliate link])
Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a 1 1/2 gl [6 lt] iron pot and add the cilantro, celery, capers, garlic, olives, thyme, peppers, oregano and salt and cook and stir for a minute. Add the peas, also while stirring. Once well heated, add water, tomato sauce and coconut milk and bring to a boil.
Stir in rice and simmer over medium heat, stirring regularly and removing as much as you can of the rice that sticks to the bottom. When all the water has evaporated cover with a tight-fitting lid and simmer over very low heat. Wait 15 minutes, uncover, stir in the remaining oil. Move the rice from the bottom to the top so it cooks uniformly. Cover again and simmer another 5 minutes.
Uncover and taste. The rice should be firm but tender inside. If necessary, cover and leave another 5 minutes on very low heat.
Serve warm with meat or fish
of your choice.
Calories: 762kcal | Carbohydrates: 122g | Protein: 17g | Fat: 23g | Saturated Fat: 15g | Sodium: 945mg | Potassium: 722mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 333IU | Vitamin C: 10mg | Calcium: 97mg | Iron: 5mg