Cream of Broccoli and Potato Soup Recipe
Cream of Broccoli and Potato Soup Recipe: Simple, filling, with few ingredients and taste as good warm as it tastes at room temperature. It can be served year-round.
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 25 minutes
Servings 6 portions
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 large white onion , diced
- 1 lb [0.45 kg] floury potatoes , diced
- 1.5 quart [1.5 lt] of vegetable broth , divided
- 1 lb [0.45 kg] of broccoli , cut into florets
- 1/3 cup of minced spinach
- 1 teaspoon of lime juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of sea salt , or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon of freshly cracked pepper , or to taste
- 1/4 cup of freshly-grated parmesan , or to taste
- 2 tablespoons of minced curly parsley , or to taste
- 1 baguette , sliced and toasted
In a 2.5 quart [2.5 lt] pot heat the oil over low heat. Add the onion and potatoes and cook and stir until the onions start to become translucent.
Add 3 tablespoons of vegetable broth and cover with a tight-fitting lid. Simmer until the potatoes are cooked through, stirring and adding broth by the tablespoon as it becomes necessary.
Add the remaining broth and the broccoli. Increase heat to medium and bring to the boil.
Once it has come to a rolling boil, remove from the heat. Add the spinach and let the preparation cool to room temperature.
Purée the soup in a blender, then return to the pot.
Pour in the lime juice and season with salt and pepper to taste and heat over medium temperature until it breaks the boil.
Remove from the heat and serve. Sprinkle with parmesan and parsley to taste and serve alongside bread.
Calories: 283kcal | Carbohydrates: 40g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 4mg | Sodium: 1882mg | Potassium: 640mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 1280IU | Vitamin C: 79.9mg | Calcium: 143mg | Iron: 4.5mg