I loved these roasted tomatoes stuffed with cheese and mashed potato filled with cheesy herbed potatoes. The presentation is also very attractive, the perfect dinner side with friends.
This post is sponsored by Sargento®
| Lee en Español |
I’ve mentioned it before, but we Dominicans are not big fans of potatoes. And I’m fine with that. It’s not that we don’t enjoy the noble tuber, after all it’s the main ingredient in our beloved Russian salad, and a common ingredient in our soups, but as a side dish, potatoes lose badly to rice in all its multiple incarnations.
Of course, once in a while we crave a little variety, and potatoes are just the thing. Have you checked our recipes with potatoes?
On the home front, my husband was raised with potatoes as the staple of his diet, a common case in Europe, and my daughter apparently inherited the potato-loving gene from him. Rice, pasta and potatoes are served with nearly equal frequency here, so I have had to polish my potato-cooking skills.
While I have to accept that my mashed potatoes are still not nearly as good as my husband’s grandmother’s famous “fluffy mashed potatoes”, I can still whip up a decent plate of the thing if pressed into service. But to defeat my congenital lack of enthusiasm for potatoes, I am always looking for alternative ways to serve it. I love cheese, and I love tomatoes, and I love herbs… The progression to this was just natural.
As I’ve done before, I was invited to pick a recipe from Sargento’s website and run with it. I loved the sound of this Herbed Cheese Mashed Potatoes. They had me at “cheese”. The lightbulb lit up in my head and a new favorite was born.
Have I told you I love cheese?
Tomatoes Stuffed with Cheese and Mashed Potatoes Recipe
- 1 1/2 lb [0.68 kg] potatoes , peeled and quartered
- 3/4 cup skim milk
- 1 cup Sargento® Traditional Cut Shredded Mild Cheddar Cheese
- 1/2 tablespoon of salt
- 1/3 cup sliced green onions
- 1 tablespoon of chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon of chopped fresh chives
- 1/4 teaspoon of pepper
- 1 tablespoons of oil (peanut, soy or corn)
- 6 large tomatoes
- Boil potatoes until tender; drain.
- Mash potatoes until there are no lumpy bits left. Pour in milk, and add cheese and salt and mix well. Stir in green onions, basil, chives, pepper. Mix well. Reserve.
- Oil a baking tray with the oil.
- Heat oven to 450 ºF [230 ºC].
- Cut the top of of each tomato, using a teaspoon scoop out the center until they are hollowed out. Stuff the tomatoes with the mashed potatoes.
- Place the tomatoes on the tray and bake until the mashed potatoes turn golden brown.
- Serve immediately.
This post has been sponsored by Sargento, but the opinions here are 100% mine and have not been vetted or revised by the sponsor.