This creamy Potato and Strawberry Pudding combines the flavors of the two crops for which Constanza is best known. Unusual, but delicious.
Quick, before the last strawberry is gone from the shelves!
This delicious, and unusual dessert is made from the two crops for which the Constanza region is best known: strawberries and potatoes. The idea came after an email asking if I had any "gluten-free" recipes inspired me to make one that was entirely free of wheat. Gluten-free, and many other dietary restrictions, is not something I have addressed before.
During the 11 years that I have been writing recipes and about food I have noticed a significant increase in awareness of several food-related allergies and diseases. From deadly peanut allergies to celiac disease. In my case, finding out about lactose intolerance turned out to be life-changing. Amazing, since latinos are one of the populations most as risk for it, it is hardly known here.
What is happening? Are these conditions becoming more prevalent? Are they now better known and thus easier to diagnose? Or are we simply over-diagnosing them? My (very uninformed) money is on there being better protocols to diagnose them.
"Celiac disease is a condition that damages the lining of the small intestine and prevents it from absorbing parts of food that are important for staying healthy. The damage is due to a reaction to eating gluten, which is found in wheat, barley, rye, and possibly oats." [Source]
Celiac disease is nothing new. It was already described by a Greek physician over 2000 years ago. Modern diagnostics have made possible to detect the presence of the condition.
I am not in the business of giving medical advice, but I like cooking and trying new things. This is not the only potato-based dessert out there, but I wanted one that combined these two ingredients. I have to say that it worked, it was very creamy and light.
Potato and Strawberry Pudding Recipe
To make the jam
- 2 doz. strawberries , washed
- ½ cup of sugar
- 1 vanilla pod or 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract
For the pudding
- 3 cups of boiled and mashed potatoes (1 lb [0.48 kg] aprox)
- 2 small or medium eggs
- ¼ cup of milk
- ½ teaspoon of baking soda
- ¼ cup of butter at room temperature
- 1 cup of sugar
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
To make the jam
- Remove the stems from the strawberries. Cut the strawberries into quarters.
- Place in a deep-bottom pot. Using a potato masher crush the strawberries.
- Add sugar and vanilla extract or vanilla seeds.
- Cook over very low heat until it has the consistency of jam. Stir frequently to avoid burning.
- Remove from the heat and cool to room temperature.
For the pudding
- Heat oven to 300 ºF (150º C)
- Pass the mashed potatoes through a potato ricer. There should be no lumps.
- Mix the mashed potatoes with eggs, milk, baking soda, butter, sugar and salt.
- Whisk until it is well-mixed.
- Place into self-standing paper cups or ramekins.
- Bake for 35 minutes, or until they get golden brown on top.
- Take out of the oven. They will quickly deflate (don't worry!). Fill the hollow space with the strawberry jam.
- Serve at room temperature.