Triples (Triple-Layered Avocado Tea Sandwich), our recipe for a lovely, cute, refreshing, a simple finger food for your party, perfect for host(ess) on the go.
I love, love these delicious triples (triple-layered mini-sandwiches). They are perfect for parties and get-togethers.
I'm sure I'm not alone when I say that entertaining can sometimes be a stressing proposition: picking the right dishes, food preparation, hiring a brass band... OK, forget about that last one.
But having guests over need not be a big production.
One thing I learned over the years is that the host(ess) is also supposed to enjoy the occasion -- what's the point if not?
So I have my to-go dishes that are perfect for entertaining: They look refined but with a minimum of effort. Look at those cute mini-sandwiches. They couldn't be any easier to make.
Make them bigger to keep your hosts from starving while the main course is
burning in the kitchen cooking, or make them into these dainty little towers for a more refined setting. Nobody will notice the humble provenance of the ingredients.
Have fun, relax, you are supposed to invite only friends to your home. Friends help friends clear the table, and won't complain if the food was
charred slightly overcooked.
Triples Recipe (Triple-Layered Avocado Tea Sandwich)
- 3 hard-boiled eggs [
- 3 tablespoons [70g] of mayonnaise
- 1 small purple onion , minced, divided [22g]
- 1 bell pepper , minced [22g]
- 1 teaspoon [7g] of salt (or more, to taste), divided
- 1 ripe avocado
- 2 plum tomatoes , minced [120g]
- 1/2 teaspoon of vinegar
- 9 slices of sandwich bread
- 1 doz pitted olives (optional)
- Mash the eggs with a fork. Mix in pepper, half the onion, and season with salt to taste. Set aside
- Mash the avocados with a fork, but not so much it turns into a paste. Mix with the tomatoes, remaining onion, and vinegar. Season with salt to taste.
- Spread 4 tablespoons of the egg mix on top of a slice of bread, cover with another slice. Cover this slice with 4 tablespoons of the avocado mixture, and top with a third slice of bread. With a very sharp bread knife, cut the crust, then divide each sandwich into 4 triangles, or 4 small squares.
- Repeat until you use the remaining bread.
- Garnish with olives. Serve immediately.
- Refrigerate covered with saran wrap for 30 minutes if needed, or if you would like to serve chilled.