There's nothing not to love in this rich Creamy Crab and Coconut Soup Recipe that combines two amazing ingredients.
Why we ❤️ it
Maybe someday I'll tell you the story of my crab hunting adventure with my brother and a bunch of friends when we were kids that went terribly wrong and ended with us being yelled at by my very angry mom, and a chicken having a breakdown over a runaway crab. Or maybe not.
In the meantime let me treat you to this Creamy Crab with Coconut Soup, in which I have combined one of my favorite ingredients from my hometown, crab, and the jewel of Samanense cuisine: coconut.
This makes a perfect starting soup to a larger meal, it is a bit on the heavy side, so portions are small. What it is not lacking in any way is flavor, of which it has to spare.
I suggest, and I speak from experience, that you make sure there aren't any pieces of shell or cartilage, because you'll hate biting into one. Also, make sure to get crab that is as fresh as possible, and while I used local crab, I bet it works equally well with another variety.
Creamy Crab and Coconut Soup Recipe
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 12 garlic cloves, , sliced
- 2 red bell pepper, , chopped
- 6 cups coconut milk
- 6 cups water
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 pound [0.9 kg] of crabmeat, , clean of cartilage and shell pieces
- 1 ½ teaspoon salt, (or to taste)
- ¼ teaspoon pepper (freshly-cracked, or ground), (or to taste)
Shop this recipe
Click on the ingredient links to buy from my Amazon affiliate shop
- Heat the oil over low heat in a 3 qt [3 lt] pot.
- Cook and stir the garlic and bell peppers until they are cooked-through. Remove from the heat.
- Mix coconut milk, water, flour and half the crabmeat and puree in the blender. Add this mixture to the pot with the bell pepper and garlic.
- Return the pot to the stove and simmer over low heat until liquid has reduced a third, stir often to prevent it from sticking to the bottom. Add the remaining crabmeat and simmer for another 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve warm with rustic bread.
Nutritional information is calculated automatically based on ingredients listed. Please consult your doctor if you need precise nutritional information.