Whether served as a salad or as a cold dish, this filling and satisfying Chickpea and Codfish Salad is a fantastic summer dish.
Why we ❤️ it
While the Lenten season may have long passed by now, this is a dish that I am going to put in our recipe rotation for that time of the year. To us Dominicans, bacalao (codfish) is a Lenten staple.
Chickpeas in Dominican Cooking
As a child, I don't remember chickpeas commonly being consumed in our home, except for in the occasional stew. I think it has something to do with chickpeas not being as well adapted to the climate and soil of the Dominican Republic as other types of beans and legumes, and having to be imported.
About this recipe
An advantage of this chickpea and codfish salad is that the part that is cooked (boiling the chickpeas and codfish) has to be done the previous night when the temperature is lower. The next day it is just a matter of mixing everything together and serving.
And if you have leftovers, they can be served the following day without problems. It is this flexibility that makes it a great salad choice for me.
This awesome free recipe contains Amazon affiliate links, we receive a small commission from any purchase you make at no extra cost to you. Thanks!
[Recipe + Video] Chickpea and Codfish Salad
- 1 pound bacalao (salted codfish) [0.45 kg]
- 6 cups dry chickpeas, , boiled soft
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 1 cup rice vinegar
- 1 large red onion, , cut into thin strips
- ¼ cup minced parsley
- 2 bell pepper, , cut into small cubes
- 1 teaspoon salt, (or more, to taste)
- ¼ teaspoon pepper (freshly-cracked, or ground), (or more, to taste)
- Soak the codfish in plenty of water for an hour.
- Remove from the water and rinse under running water.
- Boil the codfish in plenty of fresh water until it is tender.
- Remove from the water and cool down to room temperature.
- Shred into small pieces.
- Mix the codfish, chickpeas, oil, vinegar, onions, parsley and bell pepper.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and let it rest in the fridge overnight.
Tips and Notes
Nutritional information is calculated automatically based on ingredients listed. Please consult your doctor if you need precise nutritional information.